Add Track to Playlist Issue

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Alberto

Add Track to Playlist Issue

Post by Alberto » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:07 am

I can add playing tracks to a playlist by Top Panel Button "+Playlist". This works fine but after a restart of Neutron added tracks are lost. Is this a bug or do I miss something?
2.14.5, iOS 13.6.1

blaubär

Re: Add Track to Playlist Issue

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 am

How you invoke the function shouldn't matter. Do you add to an existing playlist or do you create a new one while adding ? Does it work when you add from the songs' context menu ?

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am

I add to existing playlists, originally created in iTunes. Sorry, what exactly do you mean by "song's context menu"?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am

Sorry, I should have written "file info" !. When you do a long press on the song title in the playing now screen or on the song in the tracklist you'll get the file info. It contains a button to add the track to a playlist :

pl.PNG
pl.PNG (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:11 am

Ah yes, I know this possibility for adding tracks. Same result this way - after restart of Neutron the tracks are gone.
Observation: If a track is added, the number of tracks in playlist does not change by one. But the track is really inside the playlist - until restart.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:09 am

Well, I cannot reproduce it ... we've recently had another very special playlist issue Trouble adding new playlist on all devices ... feel free to contact neutronmp@gmail.com, perhaps they have further ways of analyzing the issue.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:13 am

I did more tests and now I can report that adding or deleting tracks in playlists which were created by Neutron work fine.

The issue affects only playlists scanned by source "iTunes all". Here adding and deleting (by Neutron) is not sustainable. After a restart of Neutron added tracks (e.g. from other playlists) vanish or deleted tracks (which were present in the origin iTunes playlist) come back again to the playlist. Also the display of tracks counts in playlist does not change while adding or deleting tracks.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:27 am

That would mean that Neutron may read the files from iTunes, but mustn't change them. OK, you could say that's bad error handling by Neutron not to issue a warning. But the main issue would be with iTunes : can you configure iTunes so that other apps may change its data ? Perhaps not.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:32 am

It was never my idea to change the data in iTunes (or new Music App) with Neutron.
My idea was that Neutron scans iTunes data and then I can change and use the playlists in Neutron until a new sync with iTunes happens. After that, of course the iTunes database would be restored again and changes in Neutron were lost.
Is it possible to suspend the automatic scanning of iTunes at startup of Neutron?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 am

No, you cannot suspend the automatic scanning for parts of a source, let's say the playlists. Either you have a source activated for refresh or you haven't. Should you succeed in configuring your system so that all iTunes playlists reside in one source then you could try to scan the source once, then deactivate the automatic scanning and see what happens.

source-refresh.PNG
source-refresh.PNG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Another idea : can you copy the playlist files from iTunes into Neutron's playlist source directory ?
Yet another idea : Or you can add the iTunes playlist after scanning into a new Neutron-playlist ( by long pressing on the playlist and then "+ Playlist" ) and then updates on that playlist will persist.