Show Cover Art When Casting to Chrome

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Poelicious

Show Cover Art When Casting to Chrome

Post by Poelicious » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 pm

I have used PowerAmp for a few years but it started acting up on me and wouldn't refresh my MicroSD card. While it could be the card, Neutron was the best player I found that matched PowerAmp in terms of function and it doesn't hang up when refreshing. Convinced me enough to purchase it and so far so good.

One request: display cover art when casting to Chrome.

I am OCD about having quality cover art in high enough resolution so that it displays well when cast to a large screen. PowerAmp had this capability and it was nice to see the cover art and track info on the screen so I didn't have to keep looking at my phone.

Would love to see this function (and if it does exist already, where do I find the setting?)!

blaubär

Re: Show Cover Art When Casting to Chrome

Post by blaubär » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Two years ago a user reported this problem :
milkyonet wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm
Hi all, I have just begun using Neutron and generally it works fine for me but I have one problem with it. When I cast mp3s from my ftp server to my Chromecast only audio is being casted; graphics (such as song titles or album arts) is not displayed on my Chromecast screen (it is visible on the phone screen though). What can I do about it?
I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com and ask whether this is a bug or a feature. Please tell us once you know !

pob

Post by pob » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am

I would be interested in what @Poelicious discovered.

I use several chromecast devices. In addition to the lack of album art, I am noticing two issues.

1) The time taken to list the devices to cast to varies between seconds to over 2 minutes. All other audio apps find the devices instantly.
EDIT: I note the latest update improved the speed of chromecast device detection. After testing a few times, with reboots, still varies between about 10 seconds to 50 seconds.

2) There is no track / album info displayed. And on touch screen, there is no option to skip track.

This is from Neutrommp
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-06 at 11.48.10_resize.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-06 at 11.48.10_resize.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

This is youtube music but similar to mixcloud / soundcloud / tidal
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 15.22.39_resize.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-18 at 15.22.39_resize.jpeg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
edit: uploaded better example for alternative players
Last edited by pob on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poelicious

Post by Poelicious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Let me see if I can find the actual email with the details. I was informed that it isn't possible.

The app that was failing that drew me to Neutron is working again and it has the capability to cast the cover art which makes for a nice display on the screen (and forces you to get quality artwork embedded).

currter

Post by currter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:44 pm

It seems PowerAmp does the best job at playing music and displaying album art in the metadata of
FLAC files than VLC, AllConnect and Hi-Fi Cast combined. I think PowerAmp and Hi-Fi Cast do the
best job and I do not know why Neutron cannot do the same thing or take advantage of this feature
or convenience when playing audio cast onto Chromecast, Smart Televisions (Sony Bravia, LG, Samsung, Vizio, etc.)?
Now I am using PowerAmp and playing the audio cast to an AirTV device and its audio going through toslink/optical
and the video/image going through the HDMI connection. The sound is great and I can see the image cast
onto the TV connected via HDMI.

Neutron only shows a blank square with nothing in it though it seems there is potential that neutron mp can
accomplish this?
Actually, If I put a device running Neutron MP in rendering mode in the Network section, if I have another
device running Hi-Fi Cast to send the audio/metadata to it, the album art is displayed to that device
running Neutron MP in network-Media Renderer UPnP/DLNA mode.