Sorting

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
mkosma

Sorting

Post by mkosma » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi folks. I'm new to neutron and loving it so far. SQ is the big deal of course, and the smart support for artist versus album artist is particularly good.

One thing that would be really helpful would be support for sorting by tags Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist. I have all those set up in iTunes so artists sort by last name and so that leading articles like "the" are ignored.

If nothing else, ignoring "the" before sorting would solve 90 percent of what's bugging me.

Thanks!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Sorting

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi! :)

May be adding option to change sorting by last name (word) would be useful but it will involve additional processing and on big lists it may cause performance degradation. Will check possible implementation.

Beat regards,
Dmitry.

mkosma

Re: Sorting

Post by mkosma » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:51 am

Great!

I would suggest an option to sort by Sort Album Artist instead of sort by Album Artist. Similar to the existing option to select Artist or Album Artist - it's a one-time selection of tag and wouldn't affect sort performance. Alternatively, as I said, ignoring the leading "The" or "A" or "An" would solve 90% of the sort issues.

I've done some coding around this issue of tags. Sorting by last name is much harder than either option I mention above. iTunes makes a decent attempt at determining which two-word Artists are First Name / Last Name, and does pretty well, but that's based on a lot of underlying data (e.g., you have to know that Modest Mouse shouldn't be sorted as "Mouse, Modest"). Best is to let users specify tags explicitly via Sort Artist or Sort Album Artist tags which seem to be becoming fairly standard.