Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. feature

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Patriek

Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. feature

Post by Patriek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Dmitry,

I realy like your media player. Especially the capability of playing 24bits wave files FMT format. In combination with my Samsung i9000 with voodoo sound optimalisation this is great for accurate playback of audio tracks.
I do have some hick-ups in playback now and then. Say about 2 times per song. Any idea that could cause this?
I already put my device in airplane mode and disabled all other apps. Didn't seem to help.

Got also a request which would be great if you'd implement it. This player seems to be ideal for this, since you also got the nice parametric eq, preamp and dithering.
Could you consider implementing the ambiophonic R.A.C.E. algoritm as an option. Don't know if you ever heard of this, but this really makes your playback 180 degrees wide. See: http://www.ambiophonics.org
It's a rather simple algoritm and looking to what you already implemented, it would be peanuts :D for you.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Patriek

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Glithes and suggestions

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Patriek!

Reagrding 24-bit WAV I need to test but for me all was ok (remark: tested on several files and audio quality seems ok)... Do glitches happen on random parts of music file? Was it in form of interruption? If you have WIFI enabled and its signal is not stable and it is trying to reconnect it could interrupt Neutron because of heavy CPU load of WIFI service. Some similar Android system services could interrupt audio.

> Could you consider implementing the ambiophonic R.A.C.E. algoritm as an option

I will try to add it as counter feature to crossfeeding option, for those who likes speakers more :) It does not seem complicated, I already added first implementation into audio core and hopefully in next release it will be available along with setup dialog.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Patriek

Re: Glithes and suggestions

Post by Patriek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Dmitry,

Very nice you're already working on the RACE algoritm implementation!! :D I'm really looking forward to the result.
Do you have any idea when this update will be ready? I think you would really diffentiate your player even further wrt other media player. As far as I know it would be the first ambiophonic implementation for Android!

About the the hickups in a 24 bits 44.1k bit wav bitstream: They happen randomly and it just stays quiet for a small amount of time.
I attached one file containing two of these hickups so you can judge for yourself.
hickups.zip
hickup
(130.8 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
I know you probably won't be able to solve this easily with only this much of data. But it might at least give you a hint. And I also realise Android background service might interfere. (By the way, I had wifi disabled.) Perhaps you can add an option to adjust internal buffering size(if available). Don't know if this will do the trick though. Just guessing.

One other thing I noticed. The frequency spectrum seems to be about 200ms early wrt to the sound heard. Am I correct in noticing that the frequency scale is linear? May I suggest an option for logaritmic also.

Like I already mentioned. It's a great media player.

Best regards,

Patriek

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. feature

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Patriek!

> Very nice you're already working on the RACE algoritm implementation!!

Already did it using R.A.C.E. algorithm found on ambiophonics.org. I decided to add RACE because it is opposite to Crossfeeding DSP option in Neutron, thus they will interexchange each other. There will be setup dialog for RACE thus you will be able to tune it. I hope implementation is correct, at least it does in my listening tests what is Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. is about.

> hickups

I notices silence gaps starting on 2 and 7 seconds and also small click on 6th. On 2 and 7 are those you meant? It is strange because I also got i9000 as dev.device. Could share this WAV file with me so I could try it on my device, and if these playback artifacts appear on my system I will be able to debug? The reason I can't guess yet, silence gaps are quite long but it looks more like CPU is loaded with something else that steals valuable time from rendering..

> frequency spectrum seems to be about 200ms early wrt to the sound heard

Yes, it is :) Good guessing! Well, Android is very limited in terms of audio latency, it is very much discussed in PortAudio mailing lists devoted to Android audio (http://music.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/andraudio). 200ms is the best compatibility choice for now that matches most devices. 100ms is the lowest possible and it is Android OS limitation. Neutron's audio core can operate with latency 2-4ms.

> Am I correct in noticing that the frequency scale is linear?

No it is logarithmic. The middle of EQ window is 0 dB, top = +30 dB, bottom = -30 dB. May be it looks like linear due to rescaling of graphics bar that is 30 pixels in height for small display, if it was 60 then result would be better, like it is slightly better on landscape screen.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 pm

The Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. DSP feature has gone Live in v.1.25. You can play with different settings in its setup dialog in Settings. In next release I will add capability to save into multiple presets.

Unlike Ambiophonic recommendation I liked the following setup:
- LPF 800
- HPF 4000
- A around 9
- D around 35

But there so many variations that it is hard to find the gold middle!

Patriek

Post by Patriek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Hello Dmitry,

Just installed the update containing the RACE algithm. And I must say you did a very good and FAST job!!
Sounds great at first impression. I still have to optimize my speaker and RACE settings, but the results now are similar to other RACE implementations. My compliments on your work. That is what I call GREAT support!! :D

Didn't have time to look into the hickups though, and because I will be on holiday with my family for the next three weeks I don't think I'll have a lot of time for this. But I do want to mention that I also got some silent gabs in regular 128kbs mp3. Perhaps something is wrong with the rom I use. I customized to JPV from romkitchen.org. Can you tell me which rom your dev i9000 runs on? Perhaps I can try to reproduce on your version.

Regarding visual/audio delay. Could it be possible to delay the graphing of the spectrum with the audio delay of the device, in order to get them synchronized?
Of course these are only perfectionists enhancements, but I just want to offer the suggestion.

Recalling settings of a previous run of neutronmp would also be really great. Also playlist selection. Now I have so select everytime at startup the playlist.
And of course the preset selection for race you mentioned is a very usable enhancement.

Thanks again for you great support on this great player!

Best regards,

Patriek

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Patriek!

> I still have to optimize my speaker and RACE settings, but the results now are similar to other RACE implementations.

Should be the same as I followed strictly the RACE algorithm described on ambiophonics.org.

> Can you tell me which rom your dev i9000 runs on? Perhaps I can try to reproduce on your version.

Just Samsung's stock 2.2 which updated officially through Kies. Custom roms could sometimes lead to problems because hardware vendor, like Samsung, usually makes a lot of testing of their code before release and modifying it in one place may lead to problems in other places.

> Regarding visual/audio delay. Could it be possible to delay the graphing of the spectrum with the audio delay of the device, in order to get them synchronized?

I could make FFT analysis earlier and then display results, thus having audio and visuals synchronized. Although this method would consume more CPU and ARM devices are yet quite slow, even 1 Ghz. Will consider for future development...

> Recalling settings of a previous run of neutronmp would also be really great.

But it saves all changes made to effects and other settings. But preserving currently chosen position of playlist I need to add, agree.

Best regards,
Dmitry.