Still no SACD support

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Jaz-e-Jerome

Still no SACD support

Post by Jaz-e-Jerome » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:33 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE good folk at Neutron; make it support SACD ISOs. It isn't true that the format is rare. It is much easier to acquire a quantity of SACDs (I myself am in possession of hundreds) than it is to acquire the DSD files (which account for the smallest section of my collection). SACDs are actually a major audiophile format. Neutron's lack of support for it has meant that it has taken me many months to realise that Neutron is actually worth my time, perhaps more so than UAPP. But until Neutron supports SACDs I will not be using it as regularly as the now major competitor.

Thank you for your consideration of my suggestion. I look forward to being able to fully commit to Neutron as my Android music player of choice. I am thoroughly impressed with its performance otherwise, particularly with its very high quality DSD to PCM conversion which when tested properly blows the competition away. So I can't say how much I anticipate SACD support in future. The sooner; the happier an audiophile I'll be.

If SACD iso support is impossible can someone get back to me to let me know that so I don't repeat this post in future.

FLiNT

Re: Still no SACD support

Post by FLiNT » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:48 pm

You can use Sonore ISO2DSD to extract tracks from ISO images.

It is pretty much a one-click solution. Pick image, select DSF output format (since it supports tags and embedded album art) and DST to DSD conversion - and you are ready to go.
Last edited by FLiNT on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LudoLVG

Post by LudoLVG » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Yes i also use sonore iso2dsd and it is very great

scottMdj

Post by scottMdj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:40 am

I completely agree Jaz...that's missing the whole point using the Sonore program on PC or DSD-BOSS app on phone. I personally have converted all my hirez discs to this format to playback on an Exasound DAC so I would like to transfer them over intact and not have to waste a great deal of time converting them. Luckily this format is starting to become more "mainstream" as pentatonemusic.com is actually offering them as a download option. I hear that Neutron is working on support for this--it's almost like they have to as pretty much all the other big names support it and the phones CPU are powerful enough for extraction (along with the V30's DAC as good as a standalone). One thing Neutron has over most of them and the reason i bought it is the ability to play bitperfect music on Android--most all (including UAPP i think) suffer from the dreaded SRC 16bit conversion. This really comes into play for DSD. But it needs to support the best playback format there is to truly stand above them all--and needs to include both DSD and DST support when done. Take your time because UAPP rushed it and last version i heard stuttered like crazy.

I also am not sure if Neutron supports OTG flash drive playback--I'm not sure how to find the folder. That's another must with large hi-rez files.

FLiNT

Post by FLiNT » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:34 pm

ISOs will always stay a niche format, as they have no inherent benefits (as long as gapless playback is properly implemented) but several disadvantages, like limited tagging abilities.

scottMdj

Post by scottMdj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Again...i disagree. For one it's the ONLY way to play the counterpart DVD-Audio discs other than the actual physical disc and of course Oppos could do it for awhile--until the idiots started touting that capability in forums and Amazon. I also have files I can play in *that* format, but for some reason refuse to expand with the Sonore program. Hopefully the developer will just follow suit with almost all DAPs coming out these days and most music apps and add support for bitperfect stereo reading of DSD and DST (multichannel) ISOs--and be done with it. The people who use them will be very happy and the rest will continue to care less...

FLiNT

Post by FLiNT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:18 pm

DVD-Audio discs contain PCM streams (sometimes losslessly compressed using the MLP codec) which can easily be extracted using any DVD drive and DVD-Audio Explorer, a software which has been around for about a decade now.

Of course you can't "expand" DVD-Audio with iso2dsd, as it is a tool made for DSD content and DVD-Audio is a completely unrelated format.