USB DAC random noise outbursts with Direct USB Driver

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
k4syx

USB DAC random noise outbursts with Direct USB Driver

Post by k4syx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi there!

Long time user (happy one too) here :)

Recently I've upgraded my setup (LG G3 / S6Edge+) with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC. The bump in audio quality and listening pleasure is enormous, however I've found a problem:
With Direct USB Driver on there are random noise outburst at 4-6 minutes intervals. The problem dissappears when I switch generic driver, but then whats the point in using DAC :)

I think that this noise has something to do with output frequency: the higher setting I'll choose, the higher chance for cracks.
So far I've checked the DAC (that was my first thought, but it works flawlessly with PC and foobar) and following Neutron settings (to no avail):
Hardware gain (DAC with the slider)
CPU Wakelock
32 output
Frequency (as above)
64 bit processing

What else can I do to help to find the source of the problem?

pb9003

Re: USB DAC random noise outbursts with Direct USB Driver

Post by pb9003 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Was there any response to this question ? I'm having the same issue with my Note5 and a Dragonfly Red. It almost sounds as if there's interference from a radio of some sort although it ALWAYS happens, even in Airplane mode and bluetooth turned off. Doesn't happen with other audio players nor does it happen if I use the Dragonfly on my laptop. ??

K4syx mentions that the problem disappears when using the generic driver but then asks what the point of using a DAC is. Regardless of driver isn't the signal bypassing the system in the phone in favor of the USB DAC connected with the OTG cable?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Philip

k4syx

Post by k4syx » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 am

Dmitry has fixed this issue some time ago and everything was ok for me since then (with DragonFly 1.2) - and still is :)
Try to reach him directly as AFAIK he doesn't really have much time to follow forum :(

pb9003

Post by pb9003 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:50 pm

OK. thank you. So the settings you've described in your original post are correct and all is good?

k4syx

Post by k4syx » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Yes they are, apparently there was a bug in DragonFly configuration as it was identifying itself in not exactly standard way.

pb9003

Post by pb9003 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 pm

I have no idea how but I solved the noise problem and now have a problem with 64-bit processing. It causes the entire phone to freeze. And only sometimes does it recognize the DAC. After being away from stereo gear, including magazines, for the past 25 years it's been tough catching up. Thanks for the help you've given - I really appreciate it.

k4syx

Post by k4syx » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:51 pm

No problem. Meanwhile I've cached up on DragonFly Red as I have apparently missed the fact that AudioQuest released two new versions and since yesterday I am fresh owner of the same Red version as you are ;)

I can confirm that there is a strange, rare problem with random noise/screeching. The solution that works for me is to set the upsampling to 96kHz fixed (it was my "default" setting anyway) and voila - noise problems are gone.
As for the 64 bit processing - it has never been a problem, regardless of type of the phone (32 or native 64 bit).

I think that maybe after a lot of fiddling with the app your settings may be messed up. Try to remove app data (using app manager panel from your phone settings) or just uninstall the player and install it again to loose all settings and caches. Reach me at k4syx@go2.pl - I'll send you a screenshot with my audio hardware settings.

Rod2

Post by Rod2 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Just got the Dragonfly black and can confirm I'm hearing the strange digital screeching outbursts every 3 or 4 minutes.

I cant find "upsampling" anywhere on the Neutron menu.

Any other ideas? The sound is great, much improved over bluetooth, but, I cant handle the noise outbursts.