Neutron and Fiio Kunlun E18

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
ericngin

Neutron and Fiio Kunlun E18

Post by ericngin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Up until today neutron has worked great for me. I decided to update through the google play store and now Neutron will crash at around 90 percent screen load as long as the Kunlun is plugged in. Oddly enough if I remove the headphone amp neutron will load just fine. Like I said the prior version worked great with my Kunlun through the USB to go interface. I'm very sad and upset. I wish I had just kept the older version. It was the best sounding app I've ever heard. If this could be fixed or if someone could point me where to find older versions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

PS the phone is a samsung galaxy s5 connected to the kunlun via a usb to go cable.

merzbow

Re: Neutron and Fiio Kunlun E18

Post by merzbow » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Yup, this is completely broken, on my Note 4 + E18 also. (And it doesn't matter if the "direct USB driver" function is enabled or not."

ericngin

Post by ericngin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 pm

I did find a workaround. I just found an older version dating back to 2014 and installed that apk after uninstalling the new one. I wont update again....

Moltezzz

Post by Moltezzz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:01 am

Yup, this is completely broken, on my Galaxy S4 + E18 also.
Galaxy S6 + fiio e17k not working too.
neutron 1.86.0 прекращает работу с сообщением "приложение остановлено" при подключении к Galaxy S4 внешнего ЦАП Fiio E18, при чём как с включенной, так и с выключенной функцией "Прямой доступ к USB". Аналогичная ошибка на связке Galaxy S6 + fiio e17k.
На версии 1.85.1 Neutron не вылетал при подключении внешнего ЦАП.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Everybody! Thank you for all your reports.

In the current version Neutron is controlling USB device attach/detach events and is restarting master-mixer. Master-mixer is updating the audio device list and USB driver is catching a crash while trying to enumerate the USB device.

According your reports Fiio devices are causing most crashes while test devices work ok, as well as others, according user reports.

Most probably Fiio USB device descriptor has some non-standard structure which is not expected and can be a cause of the crash.

The work towards fixing is on its way, the hot-fix next update will be released on this week.

Even if Fiio's crash is not overcome in the next version, Neutron will not try to use its USB driver even passively if 'Direct USB driver' is switched off and thus Neutron will work the same as in pre 1.86.0 versions.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 pm

The 1.86.1 with USB hot-fix is released. There is more fault tolerance added when parsing USB device descriptor, so please check if your Fiio are working with 1.86.1 or not. If it is not, or still crashing:
- detach USB DAC from device
- switch off the 'Direct USB Driver' option in audio HW section
- attach USB DAC: it will play via OS as in pre 1.86 versions

Direct communication with USB DACs is currently in the initial stage and will be improved, so please, if you have not working device: post device model, and screenshots from Neutron's Audio HW dialog with channels/frequency/name, e.g. anything that could help to debug the issue.

muddy

Post by muddy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:53 am

Just a quick note, Neutron worked fine with my FiiO Q1 (from LG G4 rooted/debloated) but with the update with either your usb driver on or off it fails to work at all.
Locks up or just instant exits when I try to start it.

Moltezzz

Post by Moltezzz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 am

not working devices (from 4pda.ru): Nexus6 + FiiO E17k, Fiio Х3, SGS4 + Centranse HIFI M8, SGS4 + IFI Micro, SGS4 + FiiO E18.
Could not upload attachment screenshots

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:34 am

I have created a thread how to debug USB descriptors of USB DACs here: http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3156

It would be great to have that information from you that will help to fix these issues.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:56 pm

1.86.2 is out with necessary fixes. Hopefully Fiio devices will not cause a crash anymore and operate as expected.