SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
-jB-

SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Post by -jB- » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:55 pm

I like your software and I would like to use it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2), but I have a rather large library and would like to connect to my network storage using SMB. I have correctly set up my "Source" as 192.168.0.200/255.255.255.0 with correct username and password, but after about 48000 entries it aborts and gives me the following error:

Code: Select all

192.168.0.200\music
ERR: check if storage is accessible
48000 entries
It always throws this error upon each scan. I have deleted the "Source" and reinstalled the app multiple times only to scan again and get the same error. Does your app have a limit to the number of entries it can hold? The entries that it does scan seem to work fine, but I have about 5000 more songs to go. Please help, I'd really like to have my whole library available.

Sincerely,
James

-jB-

Re: SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Post by -jB- » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Okay, I did what was requested of me - instead of giving a bad review on the Google Play Store, I posed my problem on the forums - something the developer explicitly asked for. It's been 2 days and no-one has got back to me on this. In fact my post doesn't even show up on forums for others to help me out with this. I expect more from a $5 app. Maybe I'll have better luck posting a review on the Store.

Simmelweiser

Post by Simmelweiser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

Hey jB, that is quite a collection you are trying to have recognized. You may have hit a wall in the programs database capacity, or maybe there is not enough memory on your device to fulfill your request. Or possibly a link in the network is to blame (it could be a memory issue, perhaps, or a time-out somewhere along the line)

I have had problems before with dropped connections when using a smartphone with Samba shares, and I think there is a lot of bits that can go wrong.

-jB-

Post by -jB- » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, I can't imagine it's a dropped connection because it always happens in the same place. I have never had any problems with samba shares on mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Android) until I downloaded this app. It seems more like limitations with the app.

If there is a limit (database, memory or otherwise), could someone please tell me what that/those limits are? Any limitations to the app should be spelled out on the Google Play store's app page.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:23 pm

> It's been 2 days and no-one has got back to me on this.

I am really sorry for that, vacation...

There are no limits. Neutron is flushing every 1000 tracks to the database (otherwise to much RAM will be taken to keep all information) and thus you see 48k tracks scanned.

I suspect that there is some file or folder which can't be processed by Neutron and it is dropping the scanning process.

When you are scanning Neutron is showing the progress, is it possible to see on which folder it is getting stuck? If yes, then try creating source to just that folder and check if it was scanned ok, if not then I would appreciate having its files, or just file (if single file can break the process) for analysis and workaround development.

If you prefer we can move discussion to e-mails for more operative replies: neutronmp@gmail.com. The reason of the bug will be posted here anyway.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:31 pm

I have the same phone and a similar problem except that Neutron just force closes when I try to open the NAS folder containing my music. It finds the folder itself, but when I select it, there's a brief delay then Neutron quits.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:07 am

> Duffy Moon

Are you on BlackBerry or Android device?

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Android (Galaxy S4)

My trial period is over, so I would like to know if there's a solution before I pay for the app.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 am

> Duffy Moon

I extended your trial period, so you could re-try. As to the problem, on test devices I am not able to reproduce the crash. Could you please copy-paste (or e-mail: neutronmp@gmail.com) the path how it looks like? Does it contain only latin letters?

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:53 am

The path is just Public/Music on my
NAS. It's able to list the folders in Public, but when I select Music, it crashes. When I then list sources, it says "Err: Check if storage is accessible"