[UNRESOLVED] Playbook/BB10: Dropouts

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
BuSchu

[UNRESOLVED] Playbook/BB10: Dropouts

Post by BuSchu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I have often shorter or longer dropouts, especially immediate after the start of Neutronmp. Is it a problem of the Playbook OS? What can I do to avoid this?

Regards
Burkhard

BuSchu

Re: Playbook: Dropouts

Post by BuSchu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Now I've read that this "dropout" (music stops for one or several seconds) is a problem on BB10, too. Would be very nice if this could be fixed soon. It's the only bug I experience with this wonderful piece of software!

Regards
Burkhard

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Playbook: Dropouts

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Burkhard!

Unfortunately audio pauses (dropouts) are caused by OS allocating not enough of CPU time to the process. Once app is started there are memory allocations happening and probably OS starts doing something in the background inside its system process that takes CPU time and steals from Neutron. This is not an issue on Android OS with much slower devices than PlayBook or any BB10 device, in comparison. The wayout currently is to optimize as much as possible the core of Neutron to fit inside the allocated CPU time gap (always working on that).

Best regards,
Dmitry.

BuSchu

Re: [UNRESOLVED] Playbook: Dropouts

Post by BuSchu » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Dmitry,

that's good news! I hope you can get it done soon!

Regards
Burkhard

BuSchu

Post by BuSchu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I recently heard music with Neutronmp, and then I started Blackberry World and made a refresh of the list of my apps. Then Neutronmp stopped for many seconds. Therefore I think it will be a hard job to correct it. Playbook OS should allow a process to run with a greater priority ...

Regards
Burkhard

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Sorry for lost discussion. ISP got corrupted DB of the forum. So rolled back to 1 day old before discussion.

Currently this bug is under review by BB developers. The problem is to reproduce it. On my Q10 and Z10 after device was not restarted for around 3 days (Wi-Fi always on, no special apps, just Neutron) audio interruptions come into the scene when display is toggled on/off. If I restart device toggling display on/off does not interrupt audio stream. So the bug is somewhere inside the OS and it depends on how long OS was not restarted.

So, to try minimize effect of this issue, for now, if you hear interruptions try restarting device. If bug can be reproduced by BB it may be fixed in future BB10 OS updates.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

snake785

Re: [UNRESOLVED] Playbook/BB10: Dropouts

Post by snake785 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:00 pm

I've had similar dropouts on my Z10 however there are some differences based on what I'm playing and how. I've had this occur after a fresh restart, wifi off, no other applications running, bluetooth enabled and connected to my car with the audio being routed to the car's stereo.

I get the dropouts only when listening to live streams over the internet and if I don't touch the device for over 30 minutes or so. 30 minutes is when I have my Z10 set to automatically password locks the device. At first, I figured it was my mobile network being flaky, but once the dropouts start and I unlock my device, the dropouts stop. So, I am thinking that less CPU time goes to Neutron once the device becomes password locked.

The odd thing about this issue is that I the dropouts only occur with internet streams. Local music doesn't give me the same experience, regardless of whether it's a lossy or lossless file.

BuSchu

Post by BuSchu » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 am

There comes the next problem with my playbook: If I restart it, I have to start NeutronMP several times. The first 3 to 6 times it does not start working but disappears after some seconds.
And I hope BB will fix this issue for the playbook, too, not only for BB10!

Regards
Burkhard

BuSchu

Post by BuSchu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 am

Now, after the next reboot I had no problems to start the player. And the problem with the dropouts seems to be smaller with Version 1.74 (I have configured SW latency to the maximum of 60).

Regards
Burkhard

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am

Dropouts can be cured better (if they are from Neutron side) with HW Latency but during debugging it looks like all dropouts are happening somewhere inside the OS and Neutron is fast enough to deliver audio data to OS audio backend.