[FIXED] Blackberry Playbook: Neutron stopped working

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Neutron stopped working

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:18 am

It would be great to try such experiment:

In PlayBook OS UI -> Settings -> Security -> Application Permissions -> find Neutron in the list and disable permission for the microphone/audio recording, if this permission is ever listed. Will Neutron start after permission modification?

gouster

Post by gouster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 am

I’ve followed the above instructions and denied permission for the microphone. However, the application still doesn’t work!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 am

Ok, thank you very much for trying. It was just an idea for temporary workaround until next update, pity that did not work...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Yixiy,

> Any ideas what is going on here?

I temporarily removed Neutron from App World to avoid situation when new users are getting crashing version. Once the update I am working on is approved in App World I will re-enable Neutron so you will be able to update. I am doing all this asap.

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 am

V1.62.3 was playing when I purchased it, yesterday, though it did keep skipping, during playback. Upgrade 1.62.4 crashes consistently. Does not run in development mode, either. I am on a 32 Gb PlayBook, running OS 2.0.1.358.
I deselected the microphone access permission on the first boot cycle. Even after delete and reinstall, I have never been asked again for that permission. As I write this, I have 296.9mb free memory and 8.6Gb free storage.
Sure hope you and RIM can figure out how to fix this.

hytran

Post by hytran » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Well that explains it... LOL

It's a shame it takes so long to get these updates through the App World process. Oh well...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Ok, these problems were localized and fixed:
1) permission request for Microphone
2) Neutron closing self on start-up

(1) Is actually a bug in PlayBook OS which is not present in new BlackBerry 10 OS: capturing devices (microphone and etc.) are declaring self as Playback devices :evil: and on attempt to open it the permission was requested. I found the way to recognize capturing devices by their system name, so Neutron won't ask Microphone permission anymore.

(2) Due to problem (1) when building audio device list Neutron's logic became weak and capturing device was chosen as default for playback. As a result playback driver became unworkable that was reported to player core by audio core and player exited.

I was lucky to reproduce these 2 bugs in PlayBook simulator! And it is really unlucky that I did not do it before 1.62.4 release... I was erroneously relying on OS in my 10 Alpha Device and although it is 99% like PlayBook OS it has small differences in low-level system things/behavior.

The new update is now submitted for certification by App World team and there is a chance that it will be approved on Friday (I kindly asked certification team but don't know if it helps to speed up the review process).

Once again, SORRY!

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:34 pm

No need to be sorry, dmitry. Sure it was a bumpy ride so far, but your support and dedication are fantastic. I greatly appreciate that and will give your app a five star rating in AppWorld once the bugs are ironed out.

world

Post by world » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 am

Just as the other posts, crashing like crazy. Will be glad when this is fixed and working properly. I just purchased Neutronmp and was satisfied until update this morning. Get it going again and it's 5 stars from me.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:02 pm

As I have mentioned the update (1.62.5) is under review. It is really pity that it takes couple of days to review the application and that App World Team is not working on Saturday, Sunday :(

> Get it going again

It will be working ok as problem was localized. Due to portability issues in 1.62.4 Neutron is trying to output audio to Microphone and as a result fails to do that and exits.