[FIXED] Blackberry Playbook: Sound stutters

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Progweed

[FIXED] Blackberry Playbook: Sound stutters

Post by Progweed » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:44 am

First of all I'd like to say "thank you very much" for taking the effort to port this amazing piece of software to an underfed platform. Features like gapless playback and crossfeeding are very important to me.

I do, however, encounter noticeable playback dropouts when playing MP3 files. (I haven't tested any other format so far.) These dropouts are not terribly frequent, but they are there. They become much more frequent and annoying when I have the player running in the background while using other apps.

So my question is: Is there anything I can do about it? Some setting I could try? Will there be an update?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Sound stutters

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:32 am

Hi! :)

Would you please mention the OS version you are using.

Did you have Neutron of earlier than 1.62.2 version and was it better in respect of audio playback stability? In 1.62.2 due to unification of 32 and 64 bit cores in one package there were other changes regarding app packaging and which I suspect are causing performance degradation for GCC compiler.

I will of course provide updates to resolve the problem but not earlier than 6th Sep. due to vacation.

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 am

Hi dmitrykos,

thanks for your reply. I'm using the latest Blackberry Beta OS 2.1.0.840, if this is of any help.
Did you have Neutron of earlier than 1.62.2 version and was it better in respect of audio playback stability?
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. Isn't 1.62.2 the only version available for the Playbook so far? Therefore I can't comment on earlier releases.
I will of course provide updates to resolve the problem but not earlier than 6th Sep. due to vacation.
Great! :P

Yet another (unrelated) question: Can I access streaming.xml on the Playbook or is this only possible on Android devices? I can't seem to find this file.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 pm

> Can I access streaming.xml on the Playbook

Yes, it is possible, although not advertised yet because on my device Neutron's database file was becoming read-only for unknown reason. But anyway you can try:
- make sure Neutron is switched off
- create NeutronMP folder in /shared/misc
- download Android's APK from web site and unzip streaming.xml and eq_presets.xml from assets folder to NeutronMP folder on Playbook
- start Neutron
- you will notice that folder is populated with additional files
- Neutron will work with this new location from now on

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks. At the moment I don't want to mess with something that might cause the app to stop working. I'll simply wait till this feature is ready for primetime. ;) Unfortunately, another problem has appeared. I'll open a new thread for that.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I tried to improve situation in coming new update. On my device Neutron is playing stable with any CPU load: e.g. 64-bit rendering mode is on, Surround effect is switched on, EQ is on, Dithering is on, Normalizing some tracks in background, browsing Internet using WiFi.

If problem still exists please notify here.

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am

Are you referring to v1.62.3 or to a future update? ;) 'cause 1.62.3 still stutters on my Playbook, no matter which of the above features are turned on or off.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I was referring 1.62.3, yes. But I am still working on this question further. What is the size of internal storage of your PlayBook? I have reports from 64GB owners so far.

gouster

Post by gouster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi

I've just installed Neutron on my 64GB Playbook - mainly for the gapless playback feature - and have noticed the same type of "stutter" on recordings. Therefore, I am also looking forward to the resolution of this issue. Otherwise, the app looks great!

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

dmitrykos wrote:I was referring 1.62.3, yes. But I am still working on this question further. What is the size of internal storage of your PlayBook? I have reports from 64GB owners so far.
I have the 16 GB model. I recorded a short video to demonstrate the stuttering, which is especially bad when using the browser and Neutron at the same time.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3hb66p83k ... 0_1336.MOV

Sorry, the quality of this video sucks quite a bit.