Volume steps - optionally ignore volume control by device

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
mak

Volume steps - optionally ignore volume control by device

Post by mak » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am

Hi, pleas i need help. I have Samsung Note 9 with Sound Assistant https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t&hl=en_US. I use volume for media with 150steps (default is 15?). With default audio player from Samsung working fine volmue steps, but with Neutron is overwrite with gain bar only with 15 steps (i use VOLUME KEYS on my phone). Is possible to change or dissable volume control in Neutron ? Thanx Mak
Last edited by blaubär on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic moved to development and classified as a feature request

robertjjoynt

Re: Volume steps

Post by robertjjoynt » Mon May 27, 2019 11:28 pm

I have the same problem. I found out the following:

When Neutron Player has focus, it handles the volume control (including steps) and uses the default 15 steps and ignores the system volume control and the system volume steps. This is a pain in the neck as I can't finely adjust the volume; it is either too quiet or (with one step up) too loud.

When Neutron Player doesn't have focus (such as when on the home screen, having another app with focus, or the screen is turned off), the volume control is handled by the system and displays the system's horizontal volume bar (not Neutron player's vertical volume slider). The volume steps are as per the system which is as desired. This means that if Neutron Player is playing a song, the volume steps are fine as long as Neutron Player doesn't have focus, I would like Neutron Player to let the system handle volume control (which includes steps) when it has focus. Perhaps this could be a setting that can be turned on ("always allow system to handle volume control") in Neutron Player.

At the moment, whenever I am playing music with Neutron Player and use the app controls, I then need to manually turn off the screen or press the home button to ensure Neutron Player doesn't have focus so I can control the volume with the system's volume control (I control the volume via my headphone controls). This is annoying and it would be great if Neutron Player could fix this issue.

Note that I use Samsung's Sound Assistant app to adjust number of volume steps. I have tried many other apps, and the problem is always the same: they work for the system, but not for Neutron Player because Neutron Player takes over volume handling when it has focus. None of my other apps that play sound have this problem including YouTube, Podcast Addict, foobar2000 or other music players. All these other apps let the system handle the volume control and don't interfere. I have paid for this app and am very happy with it apart from this one problem which is very frustrating.

Regards, Robert.

schsst

Post by schsst » Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm

is it possible to set volume steps to "one" for the hardware buttons on the xiaomi mi a1 (android one)?

DrivenKeys

Post by DrivenKeys » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 pm

LG G8 Thinq here. I also wish we could set the buttons to 1 step always. It's really distracting, since the phone defaults to 1 step unless Neutron is on screen.

Very frustrating. I hope they fix it soon.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 am

So you want to use the smartphone's volume buttons, and the use of "Gain" instead of "Hardware Gain" by disabling Settings > Audio Hardware > Hardware Gain ( what I do when I want to have a finer control of the volume ) doesn't solve the problem, because the volume buttons he still control the hardware gain.

blaubär

Feature Request : optinonally ignore device volume control

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 am

A feature request : add the option in Neutron to ignore the device' volume control.
Purpose : when the device has special volume control behaviour activated, Neutron shouldn't interfere with it.

fumoretti

Re: Volume steps - optionally ignore volume control by device

Post by fumoretti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:55 pm

One more here. I love Neutron but this volume control was a pain since the day one. With LG G6 specially, and nowadays with Fiio M11 DAP that have native 120 steps control on O.S, but through Neutron is limited to 100. Not a big deal to be honest (on m11) but a little bit anoing... Just let the O.S do the trick please, as many music players around (eg. UAPP, Hiby Music, SpotiFy, Tidal...).

Thanks!!!

ikonomov

Post by ikonomov » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:37 pm

At least when the app is minimized Sound Assistant can take over. After some 5 years no such feature and no response from the developer. Maybe he's convinced hardware control using a DAC is the "proper" solution. When playing music from inside the app there is the benefit of being able to avoid android audio processing and resampling. However outside the app I'm currently running into all sorts of issues, no sound at all or volume not working correctly when I enable Direct USB Access. To make things short:

Please add a setting that allows the app to respect android's global volume control when Direct USB Access is disabled. Thank you.

Another related thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:52 pm

Feel free to ask neutronmp@gmail.com. In the meantime you might use the main software gain on the eq screen.