Could it possible to make an EQ preset from hearing testing?

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
zetathix

Could it possible to make an EQ preset from hearing testing?

Post by zetathix » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Dear Dmitry,

I have just a chance to try SoundBest music player and just curious that maybe you can put this feature into NMP?
It is hearing testing process, I think it's exactly good for nmp to produce an EQ preset in that way.
So this way, we will have more kind way to produce presets that match for every single headphones
...and not too rough for someone gave a parametric EQ 'Thumb down'.

Best wishes

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Could it possible to make an EQ preset from hearing test

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Zetathix! :)

I checked the feature you proposed. On the one hand it looks like easy way to tune the EQ but on the other hand it won't provide good results (my subjective view). First of all, test depends on how listener perceives frequency and how output device produces it. There are a lot of factors which will interfere with results and will lead to errors: current mood of the listener, surrounding temperature, surrounding sounds and etc.

More correct would be tuning EQ depending on frequency response of output device and output path which is measured by equipment (there is software to do it even on PC, like RMAA: http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml). It will result in generalized audio output and is the best approach to my view.

As to "parametric EQ 'Thumb down', I agree that for inexperienced users it can be a problem but I am planning to implement graphical view of EQ and it will become more user friendly then.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

TYA

Post by TYA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:31 am

@Dmitry
I know if turn off all EQ, effects, in most of device, audio quality is best with lowest noise, respond frequency....
Means output closer to original signal. But
we may feel that sound is to "flat".
So , I think output is best when it follow human ear's sensitiveness spl (even that output is remark as "very poor" by rmaa)

MatthewK

Post by MatthewK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 pm

People are amazed at what Samsung's Adapt Sound can do (like on the S4, Note 3, etc.) so you might want to reconsider. I also really like the Tube Amp Effect.

mark_bt52

Post by mark_bt52 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 am

Recently bought an S4 and I have to agree that Adapt is very impressive. My ears gave quite different results and the applied correction was great to hear.

Sadly it only works with the stock player though, which is awful.

TYA

Post by TYA » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:02 am

@2 guys above :

Think Adapt sound on S4 Note3 (even my Note2 had) is other matter.
It is ear vol, stereo , band correction/compensation.

Who love effect (like tube amp on S4) and more can go 2 try Viper 4android. All
It works as dsp.

For normal pair of ears, I belive adapt sound can not bring A good eq.