DRC please!

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
TYA

DRC please!

Post by TYA » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

Hello Dmitry

Please consider about DRC with 3 level
weak/strong/stronger.
That is one of very few that neutron app is lacking of, now.
Ofcouse I can use combine neutronmp+dspmanager (an app from CM dev team) but it's not all-in-one solution, and dsp is not friendly with players and rom version, device.....

However , I know neutron has DC offset when doing Normalize tracks. It cuts off noise very well

Thank you in advance!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: DRC please!

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Do you mean this DSP functionality: Dynamic Range Compressor [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression]?

TYA

Post by TYA » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 am

Yes Dmitry
That is!

cmmike

Post by cmmike » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 am

+1 to that.

I realize that the mere idea of DRC makes any true audiophile cringe, but it's indispensable for those who, like yours truly, listen to most of their music while driving or riding public transport.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 am

Yes, DRC is the feature which is going against the Neutron's philosophy as it will alter audio composition. Anyway have it in to-do for review.

> listen to most of their music while driving

I use Neutron everyday in my car but with good audio system DRC is not needed at all. Moreover if car cabin is well isolated from outside noise and has quality speakers and amp system then it is even easier to hear small music details in it than with home audio system. For car I advise:
- normalize all tracks
- put Master gain (analog) to the maximum position (to have minimal loss in a cord and maximum possible amplitude of signal)
- use line-out jack for connection to car-audio system if device have good audio DAC, or BT A2DP for generic quality mobile device

cmmike

Post by cmmike » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 am

Yeah, upgrading the car is certainly on my ToDo list, but not a priority in the next couple of years. :)
I'll try your suggestions, thanks (although they are pretty much what I do already).

BTW, I couldn't find a good way to normalize the entire music library on the phone (repeating the operation for every album does not count as a good way in my book). What am I overlooking?

Bjrmd

Post by Bjrmd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Long click a folder in the right most panel(the one with sources, playlist and songs), select normalize and you are good to go

cmmike

Post by cmmike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 am

I, so that's what I missed. :)
Thanks!

I'd also like this opportunity to expand a bit on the DRC matter: what I'd definitely _not_ like to see is an "online" DRC stream filter like the one in DSPManager. That thing truly butchers sound, because it has no idea about a track's real dynamic range and so takes the heuristic approach by basically making every sample be as loud as possible, as they come. The result, unsurprisingly, sounds like musicians battling each other for a place near the mike.

Now I'm not an audio expert so forgive me if I spout rubbish, but adding DRC on top of normalization looks like a matter of storing an additional datum for each track, which would tell how much to scale each sample's gain. Anyways, it just seems to me that for Neutron, given its existing offline analysis infrastructure, nice DRC would be a relative piece of cake.