blaubär

Make "Rewind Track" more consistent

Post by blaubär » Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm

rewind_track.PNG
rewind_track.PNG (5.79 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Now that we know what "Settings > User Interface > Rewind Track, %" does
dmitrykos wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:43 pm
It sets threshold for the track progress after which Neutron will rewind track to its beginning if Prev if pressed, if below this threshold then Neutron will switch to previous track.
and found out that it doesn't quite exactly what is specified, or I didn't fully understand the specification given by Dmitry
blaubär wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm
It tested it : if set to 0 then every Prev will switch to previous track. If set to 1 nearly every Prev will rewind. The behaviour when set to 0 is strange : then the track surely isn't below the threshold and it should never switch to the previous track.
Anyhow, I suggest to change it as follows, because it then seems more consitent :
  • A switch to the previous track should occur when the track's advance is equal to or smaller than the threshold set in "Rewind Track, %", and in the other case that the track's advance is bigger than the threshold then it should rewind to the beginning. So that in the case of the threshold set to 0 and the track even minimally advanced then a rewind should be done.
  • I further suggest to change the upper limit of the sider from 90 to 100. When set to 100 it would always switch to the previous track.

Lavi Jaat 1232

Re: Make "Rewind Track" more consistent

Post by Lavi Jaat 1232 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 am

blaubär wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm
rewind_track.PNG

Now that we know what "Settings > User Interface > Rewind Track, %" does
dmitrykos wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:43 pm
It sets threshold for the track progress after which Neutron will rewind track to its beginning if Prev if pressed, if below this threshold then Neutron will switch to previous track.
and found out that it doesn't quite exactly what is specified, or I didn't fully understand the specification given by Dmitry
blaubär wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:05 pm
It tested it : if set to 0 then every Prev will switch to previous track. If set to 1 nearly every Prev will rewind. The behaviour when set to 0 is strange : then the track surely isn't below the threshold and it should never switch to the previous track.
Anyhow, I suggest to change it as follows, because it then seems more consitent :
  • A switch to the previous track should occur when the track's advance is equal to or smaller than the threshold set in "Rewind Track, %", and in the other case that the track's advance is bigger than the threshold then it should rewind to the beginning. So that in the case of the threshold set to 0 and the track even minimally advanced then a rewind should be done.
  • I further suggest to change the upper limit of the sider from 90 to 100. When set to 100 it would always switch to the previous track.
Yes. You're right. It does the same thing when it is on 90 or 0.
I have the same problem with Low Pass Filter.
Low Pass Filter doesn't allow frequencies above it's cut-off frequency to pass. Only frequencies below cut-off frequency can pass.
When the cut-off frequency is set to the max frequency of the track, everything can pass. When I set the cut-off to 0 Hz, nothing should pass but everything passes. And it is very unstable when the cut-off frequency is set to the highest frequency in the track.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue May 12, 2020 4:15 am

Lavi Jaat 1232 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 am
Low Pass Filter doesn't allow frequencies above it's cut-off frequency to pass. Only frequencies below cut-off frequency can pass.
When the cut-off frequency is set to the max frequency of the track, everything can pass. When I set the cut-off to 0 Hz, nothing should pass but everything passes. And it is very unstable when the cut-off frequency is set to the highest frequency in the track.
You probably mean another EQ bug than the one has says he has fixed in 2.13.3 :
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
[...]
2.13.3:
[...]
! Fixed:
[...]
- EQ filter could become unstable due to frequency close to the max.

Lavi Jaat 1232

Post by Lavi Jaat 1232 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 am

blaubär wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:15 am
Lavi Jaat 1232 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:05 am
You probably mean another EQ bug than the one has says he has fixed in 2.13.3 :
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
[...]
2.13.3:
[...]
! Fixed:
[...]
- EQ filter could become unstable due to frequency close to the max.
The situation before was horrible but now it is good. It has some room for improvement. And what about cut-off frequency?
It is opposite to the situation of a Low Pass Filter in an Anolog Synth.

Lavi Jaat 1232

Post by Lavi Jaat 1232 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:17 am

Oh I forgot. Dmitry responded to my email and told me that he will do his best to help is and will clear our arising questions. Should we start?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am

you mean with the manual ? the first thing to decide would be how to collaborate and what exctly the manual should be ( text, wiki, html, faq, ... ) . perhaps anybody knows how best to do this ?

Lavi Jaat 1232

Post by Lavi Jaat 1232 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am

blaubär wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:42 am
you mean with the manual ? the first thing to decide would be how to collaborate and what exctly the manual should be ( text, wiki, html, faq, ... ) . perhaps anybody knows how best to do this ?
I think that it should be TXT so that it can be converted into different types if someone wants to.
Maybe you should make a post on the forum. Or maybe anything else.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Lavi Jaat 1232 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am
I think that it should be TXT so that it can be converted into different types if someone wants to.
Well ... I don't intend to become the editor of this manual. Feel free to assume the job if you want to. Then you can decide how to proceed, how to collaborate to maintain the growing document, whether and how to do the versioning, where and how to store and publish any results.

Lavi Jaat 1232

Post by Lavi Jaat 1232 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 pm

blaubär wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm
Lavi Jaat 1232 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:53 am
Well ... I don't intend to become the editor of this manual. Feel free to assume the job if you want to. Then you can decide how to proceed, how to collaborate to maintain the growing document, whether and how to do the versioning, where and how to store and publish any results.
I don't want to become that either. What I can do is provide knowledge and correct the mistakes. Also I'm not a fast typer.