Some Android Auto related suggestions

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Wolf

Some Android Auto related suggestions

Post by Wolf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm

The equalizer on this app is so powerful that I no longer need a DSP unit in my car, could it be possible to add Android Auto as a selectable source for the EQ presets?

Would also love to see buttons to skip forward and back for folders in the main screen since there is the 5 tap limit when driving.

Thanks!

blaubär

Re: Some Android Auto related suggestions

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 am

Wolf wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:56 pm
The equalizer on this app is so powerful that I no longer need a DSP unit in my car, could it be possible to add Android Auto as a selectable source for the EQ presets?

Would also love to see buttons to skip forward and back for folders in the main screen since there is the 5 tap limit when driving.
Do you mean the functionality "activate for this output device" ?

eq-preset-per-output-device.PNG
eq-preset-per-output-device.PNG (31.59 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
AFAIK Android Auto is a GUI ( a skin if you like ) that is calculated by your android device and presented on your car's head unit. Neutron runs on the android device, and the music is stored there, so the source of the music doesn't change when Android Auto is used.

Workaround : create an EQ preset for use in your car and manually select this. Or do you have a head unit in your car with Android OS, where you have Neutron installed ? Then create a suitable EQ preset there.

As to the buttons : could you show us a screenshot what Neutron looks like as it is presented on Android Auto now ? Like the following ?

android-auto-playing-now.jpg
android-auto-playing-now.jpg (5.88 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 am

Yes, it is an aftermarket unit with AA functionality.

I have been selecting the preset manually every time, is there a way to set a preset as default? Would assigning the preset to 'Speaker' make it the default? Every time it is unplugged the preset changes.

Overflow menu with custom buttons or being able to change the playback mode and shuffle buttons for folder skip, like it is on the app would make it easier to use.
The main menu looks like this on the HU itself:

jaypeg.jpg
jaypeg.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 3067 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:43 am

Wolf wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 am
I have been selecting the preset manually every time, is there a way to set a preset as default? Would assigning the preset to 'Speaker' make it the default? Every time it is unplugged the preset changes.
What does Settings > Audio Hardware show ? The speakers, as in the following example ?

audio-hardware.PNG
audio-hardware.PNG (20.15 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 am

It shows up as OpenSL ES Speaker, so I guess setting it to use the speaker should work? It makes the phone speaker unusable but that isn't an issue for me in particular.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

Wolf wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 am
It shows up as OpenSL ES Speaker, so I guess setting it to use the speaker should work? It makes the phone speaker unusable but that isn't an issue for me in particular.
Yes, try to bind it to the speaker. "OpenSL ES" probably means that you haven't activated the "Generic Driver", otherwise it would show "AudioTrack (SYS)".

9302019105923.jpg
9302019105923.jpg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
930201911052.jpg
930201911052.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Wolf wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 am
On second thoughts ... did you see the "Speaker" while actually playing in the car with AA ? I would rather expect NMP to use Bluetooth then.

EDIT : On third thoughts ... :D I just read that some devices use WLAN ... whatever, make sure you bind the output device that is shown in Audio Hardware while using AA

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Yes, speaker output is active when connected. The headunit seems to be decoding a file when audio is playing, Bluetooth can be off and it still plays. This is a wired unit without WiFi so I'd assume Neutron would be able to identify when AA is active.

Edit: the workaround seems to work, just makes the speaker unusable unless you turn the EQ off.