Genre handling

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
cantara256

Genre handling

Post by cantara256 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:12 am

Hello, there are two small issues with how Neutron handles genres:

1. The genre is capitalized, which it shouldn't be. E.g. "ALAC" is displayed as "Alac". It sucks to have yet another UI config to not capitalize certain tags, but in reality Neutron shouldn't be capitalizing anything, it should always just display the tags as they are, and the user can easily fix them however they wish.

2. The hierarchy is Genre -> Albums, but this defeats the whole purpose (for me) of spending 10+ years meticulously organizing by genre so I can easily browse into somewhat smaller categories. iTunes and iPod Touch did it right: it should be Genre -> Artists -> Albums.

The second point is most important; if I see all albums under Genre instead of Artists, it pretty much defeats the purpose of organizing by genre, as I see 10x more information than I need. Imagine walking into a record store (can anyone remember such things?) and under "Pop/Rock" you don't see artists, you can only browse the albums alphabetically. Same idea. Unfortunately most music players outside of iOS make the same mistake.

Thanks,

Raul

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Genre handling

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Raul!

Thank you for your comments. I am moving your post to Development section. Will analyze what can be improved.

> 1. The genre is capitalized, which it shouldn't be

May be it worth to have this setting (not capitalize) switched on by default, so those who would like Neutron to capitalize tag information will still have such possibility by switching off these options.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

cantara256

Post by cantara256 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:58 pm

It's fine by me either way, the bigger deal is definitely listing Genre -> Artists -> Albums.

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:45 am

Raul - you need to read my stickie in this thread!!!! It does do this:
http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=424

I click on a Genre and all listed in ARTIST order then ALBUM order (by date).

From my testing a few months ago only this player can do this.

Try it by testing it first.......it rocks.

Enjoy!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 am

Ah yes, thank you very much Liveinthemoment for pointing to this :) Completely forgot that sorting: Artist -> Album -> Year is available...

cantara256

Post by cantara256 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:56 am

This is cool but we're talking about different things. What you guys are talking about is only for when you go into "All songs", and how the list of all songs is displayed; I'm talking about the list you see when you click on a specific genre. Right now you get a list of albums; I want to see a list of artists.

One way to do this is to change the long press options on genres from having a "Setup" button that allows you to sort the "All songs" list, to instead have a radio button that says to list either Albums (how it is now) or Artists. The current "Setup" button should only be available when you long press on "All songs" since that is what it actually applies to.

In reality I think this long press should occur when you long press on "Genres" within the main navigation list (that also shows Playlists, Artists, Queue, etc.), and have your selection of Genre -> Albums or Genre -> Artists apply for all genres. I imagine most people will not want to customize this for different genres, but I'm fine either way. Of course the other option is to have this somewhere in the overall Settings menu, probably under UI Settings.

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:06 am

Because you do not have to go back to click an artist every time when you want to listen to a number of artists and albums in a genre - try it and you you will see it saves you effort.

You can scroll to an artist's albums easily.

I understand your point though and some may want it.

I see it as redundant since your way involves getting out of albums to artists then choosing the next artist the scrolling the albums then choosing the song.

The current way is the foobar2000 playlist way - just scroll to appropriate song - that's all.

cantara256

Post by cantara256 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm

I understand, but scrolling through hundreds or thousands of songs is not my idea of a good time; e.g. two of my genres have around 1800 songs each. The others have hundreds.

The foobar2000 sorting Neutron implements is pretty cool, I can see its usefulness. I just don't want to browse through endless lists of songs, I want to browse in the natural way you browse at any music store in the world: Genre -> Artists -> Albums.

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:28 am

For me it is the ultimate solution even though I have 1710 songs in progressive as a genre
(500 albums)

I like speed and less clicks and I am used to it with foobar2000. Just 2 seconds for the whole list using fast scroll (right side scrollbar)

However I have to remember roughly the number where an artist starts so I admit many would like your way

cantara256

Post by cantara256 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:54 am

Hello, I was wondering if there was any chance this would get implemented. It is my main UI issue with non-iTunes/iOS players, and it would be awesome if Neutron could do this. Thank you!