Improve playlist menu navigation? ("back" functionality)

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
TripleTransAm

Improve playlist menu navigation? ("back" functionality)

Post by TripleTransAm » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:44 pm

I use the streaming functionality most often when in a car environment or when concentration on something at work while using headphones.

I'm coming from WinAmp (explained in another post) and it was very easy to navigate the menus using the Android "back" button... for example, if using Shoutcast on WinAmp, one could select:
Shoutcast -> All Genres -> Classical -> Symphony and be presented with a list of stations. Choosing a station brought the user to the player window.
Hitting the "back" button would bring the user back to Symphony selections, and you could use the back button to climb up that hierarchy.

With Neutron, it seems if I want to select another stream, I must hit the TOP-RIGHT button to get the playlist menu, then I have the option of choosing the Android back button or Neutron's back button (redundant in this case, they are about 1 cm apart at the BOTTOM LEFT) which is at the exact opposite end of the HTC One M8's rather large screen, and then go back into Streaming and choose another entry. Etc. etc. for each change.

I see two possible improvements here. With content on the phone, it seems like the Neutron BACK button allows up-navigation in order to select another branch (different artist, different folder, whatever). In this case, it's just the need to click on the upper right and then use the Neutron back button... using the Android back button unfortunately takes you out of Neutron altogether! So here the issue is needing to go top-right and then bottom left.

In the case of streaming content, we're missing the up-navigation altogether, we need to end up back at the top level to select Streaming once again and so forth. Obviously in the case of a mis-selection, it's frustrating to correct (instead of WinAmp's simple "back up one level, choose correctly instead"). In the case of using the player in the car, it becomes downright hazardous when driving. In the case of using it at work, it's a complete loss of focus on what you were doing to execute so many steps at so different points in the screen.