more EQ Bands please

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
sx57

more EQ Bands please

Post by sx57 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:25 am

hello dear forum members and developers
dear developer
i have tried many players on ios and neutron is the only truly capable professional music player i found.but this player has a weakness and that weakness is it's low flexibility
in EQ bands.i know the parametric is much more flexible than a graphic one but i and some others need more bands still.because there are situations where we need to
make our headphones near to flat according to their published measurements on professional web sites or when we need a more precise way of changing the way the cans sound on sub-bass , mid-bass , mids , upper-mids and so on so that we have more control over the way the cans sound.
it would be very kind of you and great to offer more bands.
i also would be happy to see a better visually configurable parametric EQ like many other equalizers.the current one is visually harder to use than this for example :http://www.techdecisionsmedia.com/image ... equ_2.jpeg
your professional player and it's users truly deserve a more flexible EQ.
thank you for your had work and attention.

M.Hulot

Re: more EQ Bands please

Post by M.Hulot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 pm

I totally agree. At least I need two more bandsm

If you could Add that, it would be great.

sx57

Post by sx57 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 am

I think at least 8 to 10. bands with a better interface mate.

robdean

Post by robdean » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 am

Four Q-adjustable parametric bands is a very impressive EQ. It's the same EQ you would get on a high end studio mixing desk. On the other hand, the pro standard for a graphic EQ is 31 bands. I'd choose a 4 band parametric every time for aesthetic musical EQ, unless for overall set up of a system with a very uneven response, in which case a 31 band graphic would be most practical. If the app mirrored this, it could offer an alternative many-band graphic EQ. I'd never use it myself. I suspect that high numbers of fully parametric bands would get crazily CPU intensive, though I may be wrong.
Human perception of frequencies changes with volume, and devices' internal circuitry will not have a flat response. Human hearing varies too - one of my ears has long had better high end response than the other and ears lose high end with age. In my professional experience, EQ is always a compromise - if only through analog or digital artefacts of the EQ itself, phase issues etc. I would often work alongside other audio engineers and once in a while another engineer would shock me with work I much preferred to my own... with experience I learned that in nearly every case this arose through the better work using less EQ: good ears finding a sweet compromise with an imperfect system rather than trying to hammer the response flat with ever more (also imperfect!) filters.

TYA

Post by TYA » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:31 pm

I am using Note, Dzero SE dac and a hd600/d2000 headphones.
Last 3 months I left neutron to use usb audio player pro.(UAPP)
That is another good player for Android.
After >100 hours listening both I see 4 best of neutron that no other has :

1. Dithering
2. Crossfeed R/L
3. P-EQ
4. Phase invert

Even UAPP transfer pure digital stream to the dac but final sound delivered to ears by neutron is finest.
Reason : hp are not flat !

We need peq to adjust. Hd600 one has peak at ~5900hz, a peak at ~9000khz and a valley ~11000khz .
After set 170hz for shelf eq, I set 5900hz and 9000hz use peak eq, then no one for a valley 11000khz. With now 4 band I must set hi band shelf eq at 11000hz (when it must be peak eq).

I do agree and vote for 5 bands peq with config : 2 shelf eq and 3 peaks eq.

Thanks.

redcoffe

Post by redcoffe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 am

With now 4 band I must set hi band shelf eq at 11000hz

emperorjvl

Post by emperorjvl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

Wow, my post was deleted, guess I was erased from the forum accidentally...

Anyway, I agree with the addition of more EQ bands, at least 7 total should work...

Also I must comment, that Neutron Parametric EQ users should LEARN parametric EQ before using, it does not work simply by raising and lowering gain values... effects are very different from regular band equalizers.

For me this would be the highest priority, to add EQ bands, because I am trying to correct for peaks and dips of frequency response of headphones.

Also very important - a graphical representation of the effects of the Parametric EQ is crucial, I believe this would be much better than the current graph of playing frequencies in the EQ screen... I advise you all to search the thread "EQ sharing" and look at the post by "TYA" in the second page, he has links to Excel sheets which calculate a graph of the Parametric EQ effects for Neutron EQ (I downloaded one, and found the chart did not work, so you must make a new chart).

Cheers!

TYA

Post by TYA » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 am

Hi there!
excel need to be fully installation to calculate and show graphics.
(Macro is used in file)

emperorjvl

Post by emperorjvl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 am

A BIG THANK YOU TO DMITRY for adding EQ bands!!! Fantastic!
:D