Named Queues

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
rvance

Named Queues

Post by rvance » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 pm

As I see it, the major difference between a playlist and the Queue is that you have the option to automatically remove played tracks from the Queue, thus ensuring that you listen to all songs in the Queue before repeating a track. I love this feature and use it all the time. Of course, you wouldn't want to automatically remove tracks from a playlist, but I find that I often want multiple Queues, essentially Named Queues, which would be a Queue that I can assign a name to.

For example, I like to queue up a lot of songs when I'm listening to my own music. I want to listen to all of the tracks before repeats. However, when traveling with the family or maybe just my wife, I need to queue up different lists of tracks. To do this, I need to clear the Queue and then queue up the new list. Then when I want to go back to listening to my own music, I need to clear the Queue once again and add my own music back in again. This will include tracks that I've already listened to so there will be tracks that get played again, along with the tracks I hadn't listened to before.

It would be great if you could add Named Queues with the ability to select the active Queue. This would allow me to add tracks for myself to one Queue (call it MyMusic), another for me and my wife (call it MeAndMyWife), yet another for my family (call it MyFamily), etc. This would be similar to playlists, except that the Named Queues would have the option to automatically remove a track from the Named Queue after it has played. An option to remove a track from all Queues after it plays would also be nice, to ensure that I can listen to all tracks from all Queues without repeats.

Of course, Named Queues would be built up from playlists, the same as the current Queue can be.

I realize that I can do this manually by exporting the Queue to a "temporary" playlist, but that requires me to manage multiple "temporary or garbage" playlists to get the same functionality I'm proposing. It would be so much more convenient to support this natively.

allwi

Re: Named Queues

Post by allwi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:40 am

+1

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 pm

I am curious:
If you have every song only once in your playlist - why would one song be played more than once before you have listened to all of them?

rvance

Post by rvance » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 am

Once again, the scenario is that I listen to some tracks, then clear my queue and add new tracks to listen with the family. When back alone, I clear the queue again and add my music in again. When I add my music again, I add all of the tracks from the playlists, but that includes the tracks I listened to before clearing the queue the first time, so l listen to those tracks intermingled with the tracks l haven't listened to yet.
Of course, when l want to listen with the family again, l repeat the process and start out with tracks for the family where we have already listened to some of the songs intermingled with songs we didn't listen to yet. Named Queues would solve that problem.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks for explaining it once more - I think I got it now ;-)
Sounds interessting! This way we could emulate some kind of 'playlists that remember where we have been' even if we change the 'playlists' back and forth.