New LG G2 phone..

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
adlelare

New LG G2 phone..

Post by adlelare » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Dimi, i just read that LG is soon to release its G2 that amongst various things it supports 24bit -192khz audio, which if true i believe is a first for Android. its OS is 4.2.2 but can this be true, as i thought Android didn't support real hidef audio and if so how good is this and how would it impact on Neutron. I'm looking for a new phone and audio is a key decision for me. thanks. ps i still absolutely enjoy Netron, the new UI is a good step. cheers.

pippinsdad

Re: New LG G2 phone..

Post by pippinsdad » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 pm

The deal-killer problem I see with the G2 is that there will be no expandable storage, so you will be very limited in the amount of high-resolution audio tracks you'll actually be able to put on there.

pwwaring

Post by pwwaring » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:13 pm

pippinsdad wrote:The deal-killer problem I see with the G2 is that there will be no expandable storage, so you will be very limited in the amount of high-resolution audio tracks you'll actually be able to put on there.
Agreed. This trend of not including expandable storage is really unfortunate. Having a slot for a microSD card will definitely be a key point for my next purchase.

Solidus

Post by Solidus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Anyone besides me have the G2? It sounds pretty good (and Neutron sounds way better than the stock music app) , but I think it could use some kernel tweaks. Will be interesting to see what the developers do with it.

TYA

Post by TYA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am

Solidus wrote:Anyone besides me have the G2? It sounds pretty good (and Neutron sounds way better than the stock music app) , but I think it could use some kernel tweaks. Will be interesting to see what the developers do with it.
Hi

Can you take a screen shot of Neutron UI when it runing on G2?
(Neutron -Setting-Audio hardware. Pls show this page).
I wonder what it will be but never seen.

Is it 192khz, hmm....

Thank in advance

cggorman

Post by cggorman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't have any 24/192 audio, but here is a screenshot of Neutron playing a .flac on a stock Verizon LG G2 (VS980 4G).
screenshot
screenshot
Screenshot_2013-10-07-15-08-55.png (197.19 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
screenshot2
screenshot2
Screenshot_2013-10-07-15-09-20.png (115.18 KiB) Viewed 5208 times

cggorman

Post by cggorman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 pm

One of my primary uses for my "phone" is a media player and Neutron is my music player of choice. I generally run it 8 hours or more per day to feed a set of Shure SE535 IEMs directly thru the headphone output. No external DAC or amp.

For the next 18 months or so I'll be on a rooted and ROMed Verizon LG G2.

I stopping in to see if it might be possible to develop a widget compatible with the excellent LG Quickwindow folio case. Currently, I'm only able to use the stock music player with this particular feature.

Regardless, If the forum needs any input or help with regard to this hardware, let me know. I'm happy to provide any help I can.

adlelare

Post by adlelare » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 pm

cgg,
i am interested in the LGG2 and have a couple of questions (your use is likely close to mine):
a) does the LG G2 allow you to make a hard wired lan connection or is it just wireless (i play large music files all day and eventually bought a Minix neo x7 as it has built in lan connection (and my tronsmart i can do vis USB to rjc) which eliminated the ongoing stuttering caused by wireless; i believe Android must be enabled somehow at the machine level to make this happen; as the LG has only internal memory it seems limited without lan (which BTW Neutron now handles via SMB process very well)
c) does "rooted and ROMed" provide any audio advantages??
TIA
b) dimi has stated that Android has a 16/44.1 limit so how does the LG G2 get around this???

cggorman

Post by cggorman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm

I have the Verizon variant. I can't speak to the capabilities of the others. That said, I know G2 supports USB-OTG for USB host capabilities and members on head-fi have confirmed it working with mobile external DACs. I also know that this phone has an expanded protocol set for PC interface. In addition to the usual MTP & PTP, it also includes "ethernet" and "modem" choices. XDA has suggested that the phone will also be able to utilize FAT & FAT32 formatted external HDDs via USB.

Root access allows the user to modify every feature and function within the phone. It doesn't provide any audio benefit on its own but could allow various tweaks and sofware additions that could affect audio performance. Viper audio tweaks, for example.

I'm not well versed in the details of how LG achieved the high resolution audio but I read articles indicating that it involved a significant effort on their part to rewrite a lot of code and is only available through the headphone out...not usb or bluetooth.

adlelare

Post by adlelare » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

cgg,

thanks for the response. it sounds very encouraging. is the LG usb or micro-hdmi out (my samsung s2 does hdmi out and so into my receiver get great sound but setup is to awkward to use)?? ps re 24bit.. i strip audio from concert DVD's (U2 360 for example) and get really, really great sounding audio (primarily played via PC to receiver..).. it is typically 24b/48khz 5.1 i suspect on the LG it would sound very great..(the only real issue is each track can easily exceed 100mb, hence need for wired not wireless lan).. thanks for the info.