[INVESTIGATING] neutron not scanning music correctly

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
sg1969

[INVESTIGATING] neutron not scanning music correctly

Post by sg1969 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:25 pm

I have a problem with Neutron, it seems it's not scanning all my music, and even worse, music started disapearing.... I have about 700 songs on my phone, and everything is fine in Poweramp, google play music, Player Pro, and noozy. But in Neutron I could only see 460 songs. So I refreshed the db from within Neutron, and guess what? Now it tells me I only have 298 songs.

Do you know what's wrong and what I can do?

sg1969

Re: neutron not scanning music correctly

Post by sg1969 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:10 pm

getting even worse :(
I decided to try reinstalling the app, now it's showing 0 files. Everytime I open the app it asks me to choose a scanning method, and it doesn't matter which one I chose, it doens't seem to find anything eventhough it does seem to be scanning the folders (and recognising there are files inside, since it takes longer to go through large folders or those with lossless files, compared to just mp3s)
but no matter how many times I do this, it still shows 0 files.... it's driving me crazy!
I've cleared cache and data for neutron and also media server, but still no good... I cleared cache/davlik from recovery, still no good.
Meanwhile, all other players are behaving normally....
Not really sure what more I can do other than reflashing my ROM

sg1969

Post by sg1969 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 am

After full data wipe and reinstallation of my ROM, this is still not working...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am

> and even worse, music started disapearing

This is not possible by Neutron action because all music files are opened strictly in read-only mode. The only writable files are located in /sdcard/Android/data/com.neutroncode.mp: neutronmp.db (database), xml files.

> still not working

It is really difficult to say what the problem is because it is not reproducible and seems to be some very specific issue related to your music collection may be. Have you tried specifying just some folder and select it as music source, e.g.:

- create some folder in /sdcard named /music_temp
- copy to /sdcard/music_temp 1-2 MP3 files
- start Neutron, go to Playlist screen, scroll to Sources
- inside Sources: delete all source entries (long-press and [DELETE])
- press [+] button and select /sdcard/music_temp as music source and confirm
- what will be the result?

sg1969

Post by sg1969 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 pm

dmitrykos wrote:> and even worse, music started disapearing

This is not possible by Neutron action because all music files are opened strictly in read-only mode. The only writable files are located in /sdcard/Android/data/com.neutroncode.mp: neutronmp.db (database), xml files.

> still not working

It is really difficult to say what the problem is because it is not reproducible and seems to be some very specific issue related to your music collection may be. Have you tried specifying just some folder and select it as music source, e.g.:

- create some folder in /sdcard named /music_temp
- copy to /sdcard/music_temp 1-2 MP3 files
- start Neutron, go to Playlist screen, scroll to Sources
- inside Sources: delete all source entries (long-press and [DELETE])
- press [+] button and select /sdcard/music_temp as music source and confirm
- what will be the result?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry when I say the music is "disappearing" I meant from the Neutron library, not the actual files themselves. The files are intact, and work fine in other players.

edit: Here's what works and what doesn't work:

- autoscan ---> does NOT work
- scan /sdcard/syncr/ ---> does NOT work
- scan /sdcard ---> does NOT work
- scan /sdcard/syncr/artist/file.mp3 ---> works
- scan /sdcard/syncr/artist/album/file.mp3 ---> when setting source to the "artist" folder which contains a sub-folder with mp3s, it works.

so why can it scan into 1 sub folder (/sdcard/syncr/artist/) but not 2 levels down (/sdcard/syncr/)?

I deleted the entire /sdcard/Android/data/com.neutroncode.mp folder in case there was something wrong there and it was left over from a previous installation, but it had no effect.

This is driving me nuts... is a logcat from just after scanning help in any way?I have no idea what all this means, but maybe it can help identify the problem?

I'm gonna try removing all my music and recopying it, I'm runnning out of ideas :P

sg1969

Re: [INVESTIGATING] neutron not scanning music correctly

Post by sg1969 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm not sure how or why but it started working suddenly... I was just trying different things, removing all music, rescanning (didn't work), then removing/adding files, etc, and all of a sudden it managed to scan my files... really weird, but now I'm happy I can use Neutron again.

Thanks for the help!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Uff... this is really great to hear and not that great for the Android platform development in general... Judging by your comments something was wrong with system back-end because none of described situations were reproduced on dev. devices.

Thank you very much for the inf. update! :)

marcnewbury

Post by marcnewbury » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Im having a similar problem. Software was acting weird and would not shut down properly or acquire new songs. Thought that deleting and re-installing might help, but now unable to add any files at all. No matter how long i leave it it just wants to refresh its database eternally. Does not work if i specify a folder, nor as an auto scan. This is with a playbook. Ive checked the file permissions and they are okay.

Marc

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Marc,

What if you try making new source and specify manually some single folder with music files? This is pretty weird bug because on my dev. device there is 14 gb music database which is scanned by Neutron without any issue.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

marcnewbury

Post by marcnewbury » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi

Thanks for answering. I tried to do that today. I managed to get it to read a couple of folders, so about 40 or so songs. Now I cannot add any more folders or sources and cannot delete or edit sources either. Additionally, it won't shut down properly and keeps doing something in the background even though the 'run service in background feature is switched off. I have to restart the playbook each time. Frankly, this current build is far too buggy and my time is too valuable to me to keep fighting to get it to work properly. Other people are reporting similar experiences both on playbook and also on the android version, so it is not an isolated problem. I will delete it for now and see if your next build fixes the issue. If not, then I'll stick to the onboard player. It's stable at least.

Marc