Subsonic music server connection

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
patrickhenrypdx

Subsonic music server connection

Post by patrickhenrypdx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Hi All, I've been using the Subsonic music server for a few years and am quite happy with it, but I'm looking for a phone app (Android) that will allow me to force a mono mode (so I can listen in just one ear) - a feature that Subsonic's phone app doesn't have. Neutron appears to allow the forced mono mode, but I haven't seen any way to connect Neutron to Subsonic.

Does anyone know of a way to connect Neutron to Subsonic?

If not, is there a way to connect Neutron to my PC (without Subonic) over the web? I see that Neutron has FTP functionality but I'm not sure if I have what's need on the PC to support FTP of my music files (PC is running Win10 Pro).

Suggestions appreciated for getting me connected to my music library and listening in just one ear. TIA!

blaubär

Re: Subsonic music server connection

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 am

Find out the protocols that you can use with the server and configure it accordingly. From what I've read on their homepage subsonic e.g. DLNA seems to be supported . Then add a source in Neutron

source-selection.PNG
source-selection.PNG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 4123 times

patrickhenrypdx

Post by patrickhenrypdx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 pm

blaubär wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 am
Find out the protocols that you can use with the server and configure it accordingly. From what I've read on their homepage subsonic e.g. DLNA seems to be supported . Then add a source in Neutron
blaubär, thank you very much for that pointer. That has gotten me a lot closer to where I want to be. I clicked the settings box to Enable DLNA server
("Use this option to turn on the DLNA/UPnP Media Server in Subsonic") on the Win10 machine running Subsonic, and now I can see my Subsonic music directory *name* in Neutron on my Pixel3 (the directory is named "SubsonicMusic").

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck: I can only see the directory name; Neutron on the Pixel3 is not loading any songs from the SubsonicMusic folder. I see Neutron quickly flash through a scan screen but that's it - no folders (no artists, no albums) and no songs are listed. So, under the Sources setting in Neutron I now have one source called "SubsonicMusic" but the source has no songs in it.

As a cross-check, I went to a different computer (old Mac) on the LAN and was able to pull up SubsonicMusic from the Win10 machine using UPnP in the Mac's VLC media player app. On the Mac, the SubsonicMusic directory is visible, and I can load the contents and play songs from it. So the Subonic music server on the Win10 machine is clearly working to serve content across the LAN. The SubsonicMusic folder does take a while to first appear, however.

(I also tried placing the Pixel3 into WiFi only mode (airplane mode with activated WiFi) to ensure that the Pixel3 is only trying to make connections via the LAN. I have no idea whether this would matter, but in any case it didn't change the behavior of Neutron.)

(I also tried adding a source that is local to the Pixel3 storage (mp3s on the Pixel3) and that worked without a problem.)

At this point, I'm stuck again. I believe the hangup is with Neutron, but I don't know where to begin. Given that the Mac took a little while to see the SubsonicMusic folder on the LAN, I'm wondering if Neutron's scan of SubsonicMusic is timing out too quickly.

Any further pointers would be sincerely appreciated.

patrickhenrypdx

Post by patrickhenrypdx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 pm

A brief follow-up experiment: in Subsonic on my Win10 machine, I created a new media folder that has a single album (the new media folder is called SheCopyNeutronTest). The new media folder SheCopyNeutronTest contains 11 mp3s and 1 png (cover art).

In Neutron, I deleted all existing sources, and re-added SubsonicMusic as the server, choosing only the SheCopyNeutronTest media folder. Neutron's behavior is the same: I see SheCopyNeutronTest as a UPnP source, but the scan comes up empty and no songs are listed.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 pm

I can't test this. If nobody else has an idea I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com .

patrickhenrypdx

Post by patrickhenrypdx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 pm

blaubär wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 pm
I can't test this. If nobody else has an idea I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com .
OK, thank you blaubär. I'll play with it a bit more and if I'm still stuck I'll email them. Thanks for the contact email - that's helpful!

agusev

Post by agusev » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi all,

faced with similar issue. I have Airsonic (which is the fork of Subsonic) server installed in my LAN.
Tried to connect Neutron to Airsonic DLNA without any success, I can see DLNA source but Neutron shows '0' files and folders in it.
Other DLNA clients (LG Smart TV, VLC) are working just fine with my DLNA server, so I think that there some issue with Neutron DLNA client implementation.

patrickhenrypdx

Post by patrickhenrypdx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:03 pm

agusev wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm
I can see DLNA source but Neutron shows '0' files and folders in it
agusev, please let me know if you make any headway with this. I'm stumped.

agusev

Post by agusev » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm

patrickhenrypdx wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:03 pm
agusev wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm
I can see DLNA source but Neutron shows '0' files and folders in it
agusev, please let me know if you make any headway with this. I'm stumped.
Actually I believe that it is something wrong on Airsonic/Subsonic DLNA implementation. I've also found some instability in other client's connection experience.
Today I've setup FreeNAS based miniDLNA server with the same content structure and it works just fine with Neutron as a client.
Now I'm able to listen hi-res flacs through home WiFi connection with Neutron!

Hope it helps))

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:35 am

A new version 2.13.1 containing fixes for UPnP has been announced.
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
2.13.1:
[...]
! Fixed:
[...]
- UPnP Renderer could start playing local track instead of next remote;
- UPnP Renderer could not keep playing if Loop Track List was active;
- local track starts playing when UPnP Renderer is interrupted by the system;
- crash fixes in case of malformed SMB packet's data;
[...]