BUG: APE files ignored when served from UPNP Media Server

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
wzx

BUG: APE files ignored when served from UPNP Media Server

Post by wzx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21 am

Hello,

I use "DLNA Server" on my Android TV Box then add it as an UPNP/DLNA source in Neutron on my phone.
What I discover is that Neutron ignores all APE files coming from the media server so I can't see them in Neutron. I'm sure that those APE files are delivered by the "DLNA Server" because I see them when I connect to it using VLC.
Everything is fine with other files (FLAC, MP3,...).
When the same APE files are local on my phone, Neutron sees/plays them without any problem.
How to resolve this issue?

Best Regards,

Zx

blaubär

Re: BUG: APE files ignored when served from UPNP Media Server

Post by blaubär » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:02 am

Should nobody here answer I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com ( and tell us the solution afterwards :D )

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am

could you set up an experiment : what happens if the media server has only APE files to serve ? what does Neutron then show ? nothing ?

kiwire

Post by kiwire » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:29 am

I've just downloaded the trial version of Neutron, and this problem is occurring for me. Does anyone know if there's a workaround?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am

kiwire wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:29 am
I've just downloaded the trial version of Neutron, and this problem is occurring for me. Does anyone know if there's a workaround?
Could you give that a try ?
blaubär wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am
could you set up an experiment : what happens if the media server has only APE files to serve ? what does Neutron then show ? nothing ?

kiwire

Post by kiwire » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:51 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:12 am
Could you give that a try ?
blaubär wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am
OK, done. :) It shows nothing. I can see it scanning through the directories when I make it re-scan, but in the end Neutron's library will show 0 audio files.

I dunno about what how the OP had set up his upnp server, but I'm using Windows 10's built-in functionality (by following the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to ... ia-server/).

When I have the UPNP server include FLAC files, it serves them with no problem. When I set up an FTP server, it finds both the FLAC and APE files without issue. Samba server also serves up both FLAC and APE... it's only this UPNP server which seems to have an issue.

Actually, blaubär, could you suggest what's considered the 'best' way to serve files from a Windows 10 computer? FTP seemed really slow, I can imagine SFTP is even slower.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 am

As to ftp vs. sftp there are hints that sftp might be better. Anyway I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com , they might be able to reproduce this.

kiwire

Post by kiwire » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:17 am

For anyone else who has this issue, I think it's the nature of Windows 10's DLNA implementation not serving the APE files, rather than a Neutron problem.

I installed Foobar2000's PNP server, and configured it to serve APE files directly (i.e. don't transcode it to a WAV), and it appears to be working fine with Neutron player.

Having said that, I don't know the tools to properly check the PNP servers. I tried a couple of PNP Server Browsers on Android, but they seemed to show the results of the initial server query, and I couldn't figure out how to properly browse the folder structure. I gave up, since all I cared is that I had a working solution.