Blackberry Playbook: Auto-DSP doesn't work

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Progweed

Blackberry Playbook: Auto-DSP doesn't work

Post by Progweed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

I noticed that the Auto-DSP feature (great idea, btw!) isn't working on my Playbook.
I created different EQ presets for speaker and headphone usage and Neutron toggles correctly between the two when I plug my headphones. Auto-DSP, however, never kicks in.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Blackberry Playbook: Auto-DSP doesn't work

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 am

Auto-DSP is activating either Crossfeed or Surround effect. It was made with idea that when you connect head/earphones Neutron will make Crossfeed effect as current one, and if you connect external speakers then Surround. For external speakers user would want to use only Surround effect because Crossfeeding is only for headphones and it helps to reproduce stereo image as if listener is listening to external speakers.

In many, may be most, cases standard earphones have microphone for handsfree telecom and detection of earphones is based on this fact but if there is no microphone Neutron can't detect the type of line-out connection and thus AUTO-DSP is useless in this case.

Progweed

Post by Progweed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 am

Ah okay, I thought that the detection of earphones for Auto-DSP works the same way as the function for switching EQ presets automatically.

Is there a way to quickly toggle between Surround and Crossfeed without entering the settings menu?

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 am

I am pretty sure Auto-DSP was working fine with my regular headphones (no microphone), before 1.63. I remember experimenting with it. I agree it is not working now, though, with regular headphones. It does work correctly with my earbuds, which do include a microphone.
Neutron clearly recognizes when the headphones are plugged in or removed, because playback is automatically started when I plug in and stopped when I unplug.
I have the red bottom on, in settings, for both Crossfeed and Surround.
The Stereo DSP setting seems to default to Surround, each time I plug the headphones in.
I have even tried opening the Stereo DSP settings, selecting Crossfeed, selecting Done, returning to the player, verifying the Crossfeed setting is shown, returning to the Stereo DSP settings, verifying that the red button is still lit beside Crossfeed, then unplugged the headphones, plugged the headphones back in, verified that the red button beside Crossfeed is still on, selected Done, returned to the player and found that Surround mode is shown. Returning to the Stereo DSP settings then confirmed that the red button beside Surround is now lit. Audio seemed to change from Crossfeed to Surround at the time I plugged the headphones back in, even though the settings display did not change.
Hope some of that is meaningful and helpful. Let me know if you need me to try any other test sequences.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

> It does work correctly with my earbuds, which do include a microphone.

Yes, it shall be so. May be earlier there was a bug in PlayBook OS related interface of Neutron.

> The Stereo DSP setting seems to default to Surround, each time I plug the headphones in.

You shall avoid it by disabling AUTO-DSP in Neutron UI -> Settings -> Headset / Line-Out / Controls -> switch off AUTO-DSP. Unfortunately it works well for those who has microphone on headset and using line-out for external speakers but will really confuse in the situation like you have.