How to reduce dynamic range without overloading

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
blaubär

Re: How to reduce dynamic range without overloading

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 am

I've done some further tests : this occurs when the track changes and there is huge increase in volume between the end of the first and the beginning of the second track.
Attachments
compressor-test.zip
(60.83 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

GoodMorning

Post by GoodMorning » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm

But it also occurs when I pause and then unpause a single track. I think that when the compressor is on there should be a small delay before music starts playing to give the compressor time to process the first few milliseconds of audio. It should also look ahead to the next track as the current track is ending so that gapless playback is still a smooth transition.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:59 pm

The developer will eventually test this. In the meantime you could perhaps set the attack time to 0ms. As you already wrote, then the effect vanishes. ( did you hear any negative side-effects of this ? )
I did some further tests with noise instead of sine, and there I didn't hear a difference between volume changes inside a track vs consecutive tracks. So it might also depend on the type of music you hear. So the question : what music do you hear ?

GoodMorning

Post by GoodMorning » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 am

When I set the attack time to 0ms the audio quality suffers a bit. I'm not sure how to explain the effect it has, but it's a noticeable difference.

Most of the music I listen to is probably fairly compressed, but in many songs there are certain parts that are difficult to hear while driving.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 am

GoodMorning wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:00 am
When I set the attack time to 0ms the audio quality suffers a bit. I'm not sure how to explain the effect it has, but it's a noticeable difference.

Most of the music I listen to is probably fairly compressed, but in many songs there are certain parts that are difficult to hear while driving.
Yes, I can reproduce the effect with loud music.

My best guess : it is a feature, not a bug. The intended use case probably was rather uninterrupted listening to classical music than starting a pop song in the middle. You'll have to compromise between the effects that come with low or high attack time and more or less compression.