[FIXED] [PLaybook/Android] Album art not showing

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
clowrym

[FIXED] [PLaybook/Android] Album art not showing

Post by clowrym » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

I have approx 3800 songs on my playbook, all added using the Desktop manager media sync option. There is a folder structure Artist>Album>song.*, this album folder also contains a jpg file caled "Folder.jpg" which is the album art, After scanning all my music with Neutron, none of the album art shows up, is there a specific name/format required for the Album art. I do see there are a few different folders missing art, but the majority are there~!!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: [PLaybook] Album art not showing

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Have you tried doing full rescan of Source entry? E.g. enter to Sources section, long press on (probably: /shared/music) entry and press RESCAN button.

> is there a specific name/format required for the Album art

Neutron is honoring album art file name 'front' (e.g. front.jpg, front.png...) to put this image as front album art image (Neutron allows scrolling multiple images). But if 'front' is absent then any first image is going to be the first. All supported image formats are collected: JPG, PNG, BMP.

clowrym

Post by clowrym » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I had tried doing a Full scan as noted above, in the end I used a program called "Album art Downloader" to find and replace all my album art. After another re-scan it works excellent!!

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:15 am

Album art is definitely not working in Neutron on my Playbook. Doesn't matter how many times I scan.
All of the art shows in the native player, and in iTunes on my PC and on my iPod.
Neutron shows Grey album icons, then those disappear and there is only black. As I write this, there are Grey icons against only 4 of 173 albums.
I have had a handful of album covers showing in the albums list, before, but they are all gone now. To the best of my knowledge, I have not changed anything,so no idea where the art went. The jpg files are still in the folders.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

> disappear and there is only black

It can be due to background task thread getting stuck with something. Like, it is trying to refresh database and got to some playlist files which have internet links inside. If such link is dead then it will take time to timeout and etc. but the task thread is kept blocked for this period of time. Do you have 'REFRESH DB' message blinking all the time on Display area?

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 am

Refresh DB flashes for about 56 seconds, each time I refresh the source defined as media synch.

If I keep that source, and then define a new one using just one particular folder (one of the four albums that persistently shows a grey icon), I find the same song (the only song I bought from iTunes from that album), then Neutron shows the album art in the player background when I play the song from the new source, but it does not show art if I play it from the original source.
The single album source shows no icon in any list of albums names. The original source listing always shows a grey album icon in lists.

Any sensitivity to pathnames? Path length? Depth of subfolders?

Anything else you would like to know?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am

> Any sensitivity to pathnames? Path length? Depth of subfolders?

There are no limitations of this sort in Neutron. This is strange. What if you delete all sources and create just one for /shared/music, will Neutron misbehave in the same manner?

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am

Much better news this morning. :D

I deleted all of the files and folders from media synch, last night. Then I purchased iTunessynch from Appworld and ran a full synch, overnight.
When I opened Neutron this morning, All but eight of my albums are proudly displaying their art, both in the player and in the album list.
I will dig deeper tonight, to see whether I can find any other useful details. Thanks for monitoring this thread.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Today there is new release 1.64.0 for Android platform and soon will follow update for PlayBooks. There I improved album art handling and it appeared that there is old bug in code which is dealing with information refreshing in DB. So, let's see how it will work for you after 1.64.0 update arrives.

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Looking forward to testing upgrade.
Meantime, I have also noticed that both Neutron and the native player are bundling together the songs from three different albums called "Greatest Hits". I suspect the tags on those files may be contributing to that problem. At least one of the three albums songs show no artist name for any of the songs, in Neutron, though Windows Explorer shows the Album Artist tags are correct in the files that Neutron is reading. I see the Database settings offer a couple of options for trying to bundle songs from the same album into to a single album in the player. It may help to elaborate on best practices for filenaming and tagging in the FAQs, to help folks like me generate fewer issues like this thread for you.
I tried the Database settings Alb Artist. Neutron then shows there are -95 artists (that's negative 95).
I will post another update if I learn anything else significant.
Cheers.
Last edited by Thinker on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.