galaxy note 10+ and hi res audio

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
bigcid10

galaxy note 10+ and hi res audio

Post by bigcid10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:27 am

Is there no hi res audio support for the note 10+
Under the generac driver ,it only says custom

blaubär

Re: galaxy note 10+ and hi res audio

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm

bigcid10 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:27 am
Is there no hi res audio support for the note 10+
Under the generac driver ,it only says custom
You did follow Dmitrykos' advice ?
Perhaps you could provide some screenshots of the "Audio Hardware" settings ?
dmitrykos wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm
Since 1.97.0 version Neutron supports Hi-Res Audio output to the mobile devices which support it and have dedicated on-board DAC (ESS, XMOS, Qualcomm, ...) for Hi-Res Audio. The Hi-Res Audio must be supported by firmware of course. Minimum Android OS version is 4.4.

To make sure you have guaranteed Hi-Res Audio output (if device supports it) there are number of prerequisites in Neutron's settings -> Audio Hardware:

1) Generic Driver = ON
2) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Codec = ON
3) Generic Driver -> Hi-Res Speaker = ON
4) DSP Effect (Device) = OFF
5) Low Latency = OFF
6) 32-bit Output (IEEE 754) = OFF

The easiest approach is just to reset all settings of Audio Hardware section to default (middle Undo button in the bottom of dialog).

Offloading Hi-Res Audio via Device Hardware Codec
Since 1.97.2 offloading via internal hw codec is switched off by default due to many buggy firmwares/devices (HTC 10, ...) but it can be switched on by Generic Driver -> Hi-Fi Codec.

Custom Format [tweaking]
Since 1.97.2 you can try to force system output format if Neutron could not recognize any hi-res audio output and provides basic format and you absolutely sure that device is capable of hi-res output you could try making custom format. For that you have Generic Driver -> Custom Format option which must be activated and if you tap on panel you can setup the following: sample format, frequencies, system flags. Never try setting it if you are not sure what you are doing, it is only for EXPERT use! Once custom format is configured start playback, access Audio Hardware dialog and tap on info panel with Channels, Frequency, ... to see real output format which is used by device, if it is not the format you set then your custom format does not work.

How to check Hi-Res Audio is available
If you wish to to know whether your device has Hi-Res Audio support just access Audio Hardware -> Frequency section. Hi-Res Audio capable devices will have multiple frequencies listed, Bits field will show 24 or 8.24 or 32 in [out: X] placeholder. Additionally you can tap on a panel with Channels, Bits in Audio Hardware and see the current audio output format. If all audio devices indicate 'closed' during playback then it is a sign of Hi-Res Audio as well.

Hi-Res Audio output to the Speaker
By default Hi-Res Audio is disabled for the built-in speaker due to some buggy firmwares, but if you wish to try to enable it tap on Generic Driver and switch on Hi-Res Speaker option. It will sound the same but will save CPU/battery if you have hi-res music files due to absence of re-sampling if Follow Source Frequency option is switched on.

OpenSL ES
OpenSL ES driver is considered obsolete since 1.97.0 due to its low capabilities and format limitation. To have its old behavior in case your device does not support Hi-Res Audio but firmware is buggy and device has not satisfactory audio output if audio is going via Android's deep-buffer internal mixer then just enable Low Latency option and you will get the same quality back. For Hi-Res Audio devices it is of course not needed and will limit to a single output frequency!

Device Effects compatibility with Hi-Res Audio
If DSP Effect (Device) is enabled it can break Hi-Res Audio output because some device effects do not support it and firmware will fallback to a standard format. To be sure that you have Hi-Res Audio output and you still want to have DSP Effect (Device) switched on - check the real audio device output format as described above.

There are no known devices which support Hi-Res Audio output with 32-bit floating point format and thus make sure 32-bit Output (IEEE 754) is switched off, or if you feel that firmware still allows Hi-Res Audio with this format then double check the real audio device output format as described above.

Low Latency compatibility with Hi-Res Audio
Low Latency always limits device to a single output frequency, so it must be switched off if you want Hi-Res Audio.

bigcid10

Post by bigcid10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:07 pm

under the generic driver I don't even have those options ,only custom

bigcid10

Post by bigcid10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:09 pm

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 pm

OK, that looks strange.
You seem to use the speaker for audio output, there you won't profit from high-res anyway.
Does anthing change when you connect headphones ?

Does anybody else use the Galaxy Note 10+ ? And encounters the same problem ?

bigcid10

Post by bigcid10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 pm

I just got the phone 2 days ago and I mostly use Bluetooth but I didn't have it connected that time but Bluetooth is it gonna make a difference it's the same way in I don't know if anybody else has the problem yet thank you

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:07 pm

bigcid10 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 pm
I just got the phone 2 days ago and I mostly use Bluetooth but I didn't have it connected that time but Bluetooth is it gonna make a difference it's the same way in I don't know if anybody else has the problem yet thank you
So does it make a difference if you use headphones or not ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:12 pm

https://www.androidcentral.com/does-not ... phone-jack
Samsung isn't going to leave you hanging, though. It's included a USB-C headphone with the new Note 10 phones. If you already have your own sweet set of 3.5mm headphones you want to use, you'll need to purchase a USB-C to headphone adapter, like this Kimwood one, to make them usable with the Note 10 or 10+.
So if you really want to listen to high-resolution-audio, first thing to do is to get yourself decent headphones.

Even with bluetooth that would be problematic - there are codecs like aptx or ldac which promise high-res via bluetooth, but imho that's a bit dubious.

bigcid10

Post by bigcid10 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:17 pm

are the dac's different between the note 9 and the note 10+ ?
because it was fine with my note 9,HP or BT
I never used HP's with my phone ,I send the signal through usb-c to a car headunit
I also used would also pass the signal via BT to the headunit sometimes if I didn't connect it
I'm just saying that neutron doesn't recognize the dac on the new note 10+
regardless of how I listen to my music or video
Thank you

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:52 am

bigcid10 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:17 pm
I'm just saying that neutron doesn't recognize the dac on the new note 10+
regardless of how I listen to my music or video
Ok, understood.
One last question : do you have the Exynos or the Snapdragon version ?
Just in case that it matters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_10
System on chip
Worldwide: Samsung Exynos 9 Series 9825
USA, Canada, China, Japan and Latin America: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855