Only Neutron can use the DAC?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
FlockOfDimes

Only Neutron can use the DAC?

Post by FlockOfDimes » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 am

Hi, I'm a new user of Neutron, also using a new Dragonfly Cobalt, on a Pixel 3 XL, Android 9

I have an issue where only Neutron is able to output to the DAC. Any other app will output to the phone speakers, which is not desirable.

I've found a temporary workaround - to restart the phone, with the DAC attached. I will see a popup asking if Neutron may access the DAC... if I cancel that popup without accepting, I can then use another program with the DAC. However if I ever open Neutron, it will then take control of the DAC until I restart the phone again.

I cannot figure out how to correct this behaviour.
My best guesses are:

"play if output attaches" - none of these are selected.
Direct USB access - On. (I've tried turning this off, which did not change the behaviour)

Can anyone assist? I would like to switch between Neutron and streaming services like Tidal, without the need to restart my phone.

blaubär

Re: Only Neutron can use the DAC?

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:02 am

Ending Neutron completely ( not only closing the GUI, but also removing it from the list of open apps ) doesn't help ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 am

What about Settings > Service ? Is this activated ? Does it help to deactivate ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 am

Is Settings > Audio Hardware > Direct USB Access activated ? Try to change the setting - what happens ?

EDIT : sorry :( , you already tried that.
FlockOfDimes wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 am
Direct USB access - On. (I've tried turning this off, which did not change the behaviour)

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

In another topic somebody had a problem wirth dragonfly on iOs, and there was a workaround by disabling Hardware Gain :
dmitrykos wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 pm
The temporary workaround until next update would be to switch off Hardware Gain in Audio Hardware settings.
Perhaps worth a try.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 pm

Normally OS should re-acquire USB DAC because Neutron is releasing the DAC's descriptor if audio focus is lost.

FlockOfDimes

Post by FlockOfDimes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:33 am

dmitrykos wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 pm
Normally OS should re-acquire USB DAC because Neutron is releasing the DAC's descriptor if audio focus is lost.
in neutron settings, "enable audio focus management" is selected (this is by default, as I did not know what it means).
Should that maybe be off?
I will try toggling it later, I don't have my DAC handy right now.

FlockOfDimes

Post by FlockOfDimes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:34 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm
In another topic somebody had a problem wirth dragonfly on iOs, and there was a workaround by disabling Hardware Gain :
dmitrykos wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 pm
The temporary workaround until next update would be to switch off Hardware Gain in Audio Hardware settings.
Perhaps worth a try.
That's an annoyance, but I will try it. Thanks for the tip :)