Neutron stalls

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Kurt

Neutron stalls

Post by Kurt » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi guys,

Since a couple of days neutron behaves strangely. And it got worse. It is now to a point where I can start the app and it will play the last track it was playing. It starts that track from the beginning. However, I can do NOTHING with the app, also the screen does not show any music in progress. From time to time I loose the signal briefly (this was the first symptom, then it started stalling and gave the option to report, which I did a few times.) Now, not a single button works in the app. It is completely frozen. All I can do is go back to the main screen of the phone. As far as I can tell the rest of the phone works as it should. However when I try to "kill" Neutron, the screen dissapears just like it would when I close an app, but the music remains on for another 20-25 seconds.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Neutron, but to no avail.

I use it on a oneplus six, with latest software, and I am a paying customer for Neutron.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Kurt

blaubär

Re: Neutron stalls

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Can you rule out that it's the os that kills or hinders the app ? Can you remove nmp from the list of apps that can be killed or optimized by the os ? And add nmp to the list of apps that never get treated in this way ?
Other than that, could you check whether the location of the music files ( internal or SD card ) makes a difference ?

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 am

Thank you Blaubär for your response.
I cannot rule out that the OS (Oxygen 9.07) is responsible. However Neutron has been on that phone since quite a few months and was very satisfactory before.
BUT! What I failed to do last time when I reinstalled is swich the phone on and of before reinstalling Neutron. So, I just did the procedure again and this time I switched the phone off before reinstalling. It did start up again with the same track it stalled on before. I could however forward it to the next track. Which it started playing. I am now sort of back to where I was before: I lose signal from time to time for a few seconds (or less) and operating Neutron is terribly slow. (E.g.: when skipping a part of a track, Neutron will respond only after 6 to 7 seconds. I did not have such issues before.)Next thing that happened was that I tried "next track" and upon starting it, Neutron started rushing through tracks in FF mode. After pressing pauze, waiting for a few seconds and press play again, it went back to normal play, but then it disconeected from the WiFi players and started playing through the phone itself. After reconnecting it back to the WiFi, it now seems to behave better. Skipping within a track is still slow, but better (about 3 seconds).
20 minutes later: Neutron started to lose signal again and after 20-25 seconds the track just stopped. Now it refuses to play on. Start/pause does nothing, forward/return track does not work, In tracks list I can change the terack, it will show the album art, but does not play it. Pushing a speaker symbol with an arrow underneath it (only when phone is horisontal), disconnects Neutron from the WiFi and seems to get it back in motion, playing the music back on the phone. Pressing that button again reconnects it to the WiFi and it works again. So maybe it has to do with the WiFi connection (in this case: iEast.)
So, reinstalling has made a big difference, but still Neutron is not stable... Any ideas?
Regards, Kurt

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am

It most probably has to do with the connection to iEast. Everytime I press "Export To", the music stops playing. When bring the sound back to the phone, music plays normal. Connecting it to the iEast via an audio cable works perfectly...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:33 am

Kurt, most probably there is some communication error or UPnP/DLNA renderer behaves in non standard way and does not reply, so Neutron is waiting indefinitely. Will check the related code to avoid blocking network call.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 pm

This problem has never been sorted. But now it is a lot worse. I sent feedback from the phone (report) a few minutes ago, but in the meantime I have no clue. I reinstalled without result. The app itself will work in the background. Playing songs with 1-2 minutes of silent intervals. When I try to open the app, all I get is a black screen. Minutes before this happened I could see the app appear on the screen the app, but could not do anything. No matter where I touched: nothing. So, I cannot stop it from playing, nor start it, nor control it in any way. It also starts and stops at random moments. (Very often in the middle of the night.) It will also block my phone in landscape. None of this happened before...
Sometimes I can kill the app by closing "running apps", sometimes it takes minutes to respond to that. Upon reopening I get back to one song that keeps repeating. But I can not make the app respond to any command.
There has been a recent update on my phone (OnePlus 6) to Android 10/Oxygen 10.3.0

I am a paying customer, but so far any help or assistance has been null and void... :( :x

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:07 pm

It's a bit hard to analyse a problem without being able to reproduce it. Does this depend on the type of input ( streaming, file, ... ) or output ( local DAC, external DAC, streaming, .... ) ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:57 pm

So, anything new happened in the meantime ?

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 am

Hi blaubär, thank you for caring.
I did quite an overhaul and had Neutron start from scratch again. This is quite a bit of work considering all the settings. But it now behaves better.
What I still encounter though, is that it will start playing automatically at random times. This is particularly annoying in the middle of the night when I get woken up by the music.
Also when I make Neutron play music during the day, it will happily do so for a while. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour or more. But it will invariably stop at one point. Just like that. No warning, no reason, just silence...
So I end up using it very little these days since it seems very instable.
HOWEVER, it doe seem to work fine in my car. And I sometimes wonder if it does not connect to the car at times and play in there rather than in the house. I know it works the other way around: when I leave the car, it will automatically continu in the house...
Does that ring a bell to you?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am

If you've disabled
Settings > Connections and Controls > Play if Output Attached > [all items there]
Settings > Connections and Controls > Play on Start
Settings > User Interface > Optional Features > [ Clock | Sleep Timer | Wake-up Timer ]
and you haven't configured the operating system or any other app to start Neutron ... then I suggest you write to neutronmp@gmail.com and ask for a test version with logging enabled. Perhaps Neutron can log the reason for the unexpected start.