[TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
CleveTripp

Re: [TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Post by CleveTripp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi...What audio info screen? The tags/info display can be found via the Menu in the Player screen, or long-press on a song title in the library. The Equaliser is found by pressing the EQ button near the top of the player screen, or via swiping in.

fast turn pcb assembly
Last edited by CleveTripp on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:32 pm

CleveTripp wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 pm
Hi...What audio info screen?
Is that a question ? If yes, could you perhaps rephrase it ? as it is not clear what you are asking.

Schroederesque

Post by Schroederesque » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Is it true, no matter eq, samples, dac's..etc.. isn't it first the source needs to be HiRes before all the electronics get introduced? Also, being a complete Noob to HiRes, just playing around with all the settings and frequencies...how would i know HiRes from better than LoRes but still not quite HiRes ?.. i mean, i can obviously hear the difference in which processed sound i am listening to at that moment but 1080 vs. 480 is ....a very fine line of difference. I'm guessing that if i had hi def everything from beginning to end i would be able to. Otice little subtle differences?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Schroederesque wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Is it true, no matter eq, samples, dac's..etc.. isn't it first the source needs to be HiRes before all the electronics get introduced? Also, being a complete Noob to HiRes, just playing around with all the settings and frequencies...how would i know HiRes from better than LoRes but still not quite HiRes ?.. i mean, i can obviously hear the difference in which processed sound i am listening to at that moment but 1080 vs. 480 is ....a very fine line of difference. I'm guessing that if i had hi def everything from beginning to end i would be able to. Otice little subtle differences?
There are people who claim they hear the difference. Hi bat ears :D : anybody listening ? Can you tell us a about your listening experiences ?

Personally I don't hear the difference between good mp3 and CD, let alone high-res-audio. I use neutron's default settings for audio hardware with follow source frequency activated, crossfeed for headphones, sometimes the compressor in loud environments and an eq preset for each of my headphones to flatten their frequency response. I've got no special hardware, just an Samsung S9 and medium priced headphones like AKG K702.

Yes, generally speaking the high-res-stuff only makes sense if you put high-res-audio in, process it with high-res-quality, change it into sound with really good headphones or loadspeakers ( and this might get really expensive ) ... and have got bat ears .

You can make an argument for oversampling non-high-res-audio, that will increase the sampling rate before the DSP ( digital signal processing = equalizer crossfeed compressor etc ), that might optimize the calculations there. Again I don't claim to hear any difference.

And you can make an argument for upsampling not oversampled non-high-res-audio before the DAC ( digital analog converter, the thing where neutron delivers its output to ), because the DAC would upsample anyway and neutron's upsampling might be better than that of the DAC ... I find this argument a bit dubious.

You also can make an argument against high-res : humans don't hear frequencies above 20 kHz, and any sampling rate above that of the CD only means higher frequencies than human ears could possibly process. Advocates of high-res-audio think that argument is faulty. I think it's valid ... but again I don't hear the difference anyway :D .

Schroederesque

Post by Schroederesque » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:51 am

I am a musician of 40+ yrs and live music is kinda lo-res to my ears cause thrres amp clipping, distortion from unwanted sources cz hissing, popping....i could go on and on.i reslly am a fan of clean sound and neutron equalizer hss been my audio 'tweak' which is right up my alley.
So my listening exp has been in existence since before 8 track( which I took apart to see how it works) i have always graduated to the next Media playerscoming out and im real curious where the next is gonna come from? My taste ismixed when listening to music, usually mood swings dictate choice.... anything from solo piano to tool, or disturbed...i love Sade....Charles Mingus, Django Rhinehart, Mac Davis....the other day i downloaded a KTEL record popular back in the 70's called "Goofy Greats" iy had ..Ahab the Arab ( id like to see them try to produce that in todays world.)..Alley Oop, snoopy and the Red Baron...just crazy weird songs that were hits on the radio back then. I really would like to learn more than the basics on Neutron, i believe there are some videos on YouTube.
Thanx for checking in and responding i try to keep the chat present and relevant.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Schroederesque wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Also, being a complete Noob to HiRes, just playing around with all the settings and frequencies...
blaubär wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
You can make an argument for oversampling non-high-res-audio, that will increase the sampling rate before the DSP ( digital signal processing = equalizer crossfeed compressor etc ), that might optimize the calculations there. Again I don't claim to hear any difference.

And you can make an argument for upsampling not oversampled non-high-res-audio before the DAC ( digital analog converter, the thing where neutron delivers its output to ), because the DAC would upsample anyway and neutron's upsampling might be better than that of the DAC ... I find this argument a bit dubious.
Some things about the sampling rate that I found out in the meantime :

1. If Neutron resamples, it resamples the output of the decoder and feeds the DSP with the new sampling rate, so the DSP will work with the new sampling rate, and deliver data with this rate to the output.

2. If the firmware resamples, it will do so only after the DSP and only if it doesn't support the sampling rate delivered by the DSP. If the DSP delivers a supported sampling rate the firmware won't resample.

3. If you activate Audio Hardware > Oversampling then Audio Hardware > Frequency will be ignored.

4. Audio Hardware > Oversampling sets the sampling rate to an even multiple of the input. This is a good thing on its own, better than a non-even multiple. But if the resulting sampling rate isn't supported by the device the firmware will resample again after the DSP to the best suitable rate.

5. Audio Hardware > Frequency will set the sampling rate to a value supported by the device. This is a good thing on its own. But it might force Neutron to resample to an non-even multiple, which isn't as perfect as resampling to an even multiple.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 am

As to the question of bluetooth codecs vs high-resolution-audio see these links :
Audio over Bluetooth
Understanding Bluetooth Codecs
Which Blue­tooth Codec is the Best?
Sony’s LDAC
In short : if you can use wired headphones then do so. If you have to use bluetooth then stick to the SBC codec. LDAC might be slightly better, or it might not be, but that can't be proven.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:43 pm

ZeratuLx wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am
Good afternoon. I use Onkyo Granbeat DP-CMX1 and Neotron outputs only at 16bit, any other settings include a mixer. Collected the log, through the logcat -v, the work of the built-in player. And yes an interesting moment, if you include a non-standard format with output to 32bit, then the built-in logger will work out about success, but the sound goes through the mixer.
I put all the logs + audio_policy.conf, so there is also an apk of the native player (I can also put it).
[...]
In the stock there is logkat-in and a neutron log with high-end enabled and non-standard output enabled (the log reports success, but the android mixer is spinning)
Did you get it working ?
MoyaCat wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:37 pm
High resolution audio Please support Dp-CMX1. :arrow:

saorabhv

Post by saorabhv » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Recently bought this popular chifi BGVP T01 USB DAC.

Specification:

Model: BGVP T01 |
Core material: 4 strands 5N frozen version of single crystal copper wire base |
Plug: type-c to 2.5mm/3.5mm |
Length: 12.8 cm |
Dynamic range DNR: > 123dB |
Distortion THD+N: < 0.0003% |
Frequency Response: 20Hz-40kHz |
Output Impedance matching Impedance Range: 16 Ω - 600Ω |
Decoding capability: 32bit/384kHz; DSD64 / DSD128

This dac sounds superb. The separation is mind-blowing at this price. Truly surprised.

What I'm facing is difference in actual output capabilities of this device.

The device's actual max sample rate is 32bit 192khz as shown by apps like Neutron player, UAPP, Audirvana etc.
And no DSD 64/128 support at all.
But as specified, it should be like 32bit 384khz and must support DSD as well.

[Here is the detailed post regarding the same with snapshots.](https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac ... t-15862095)

The features like DOP, oversampling won't affect the neutron output.

Requesting those who owns the same to guide me on this.
Whether I'm using it correctly or not?

wyup

Post by wyup » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 am

I'm using latest Neutron 2.17.4 on CPU ARMv8+NEON64, VEC NEON64, DRV Speaker & Line-Out (Audio Track) on a Pixel Experience rom on Android 11.
It seems audioflinger is proritizing DEEP_BUFFER with MIXER output resampling at 48 KHZ instead of DIRECT_PCM or COMPRESSED_OFFLOAD on my phone.

I can play a 44100 Hz mp3 with Generic driver ON and Hi-Res Codec (Direct PCM) On, Hi_res Speaker ON. Even CUSTOM FORMAT with various options. Rest of options OFF.
Audio Hardware shows 44100 Hz Bits 32 (out:24 int).

However, a dumpsys media.audio_flinger shows the MIXER is resampling the output at 48000 Hz by means of DEEP_BUFFER. It ignores the manual selection of Neutron. It always chooses DEEP_BUFFER and MIXER out.

Is there anyone else with this problem? It used to work ok on MIUI rom on Android 10.

I have my audio_policy_configuration.xml well set-up and compressed_offload properties enabled on my build.prop.

It is a pity that I can't play my music files without android resampling, even with Neutron. :cry: