is it ok to Normalize all your music?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
3thudnera876

is it ok to Normalize all your music?

Post by 3thudnera876 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:44 am

Hello everyone, I am new to using NeutronMP and I can say that it is the best music player that is both compatible with my device and gives a high quality audio performance. There are many functions and settings here that can make the most out of your music but I am a bit confused about it's normalization setting. I see that everything has all it's advantage and disadvantages and for those who knows so much about music and how it works we know that normalizing an audio can put it at risk of quality loss although it would only happen at a very low probability or when you are just dumb enough and know not what your doing. But it looks like Neutron's normalization technology is a bit smarter than an average audio editor software out there. So if the way I perceive it is right then you would most likely get the best out of your music when using it. But my problem is that I have 1000+ music saved on my phone and I never did put any effort on normalizing some or all of them in the past so I honestly lose track as to which needs adjustment and which needs not because for some ordinary music players, at least for me, they just all sound the same but when I played them in Neutron I noticed that some are really louder and some are softer. So my question is, is it alright to just normalize them all in one go? Seems that neutron does not have the function in the past of being able to normalize all audio in one sweep but now it does have it. Will the normalization function not destroy the audio if it sees that the specific track is actually normal already? By the way EQ is not a problem for me because I want all my music set in a vocal preset because I like emphasizing the voice quality than other instruments.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for taking the time to read it. Cheers!

Anok Pe

Re: is it ok to Normalize all your music?

Post by Anok Pe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm

I suppose it kind of depends on your particular setting. Personally I prefer ReplayGain as a method to control volume because it only changes file metadata when it's applied. You might want to check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain .

ReplayGain has over the years become something of a de facto best approach into this volume control issue and as such it's widely supported between operating systems and audio players. The audio files need to be scanned before they can be tagged. The aforementioned Wikipedia page has a plethora of software links to get you started. If you are using a Microsoft OS then I highly recommend foobar2000 for the task.

If you have a lot of material spanning a wide time frame then you will benefit more from the volume normalization process due to the so-called “loudness war” that's been all the rage in recent times. For someone who whilst listening impulsively jumps from 70s material to 2010s and then back in time to mid 90s it's either volume normalization or constantly manually adjusting volume as the more recent music tends to be louder. According to some studies it also “sounds better”.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

3thudnera876

Re: is it ok to Normalize all your music?

Post by 3thudnera876 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:59 am

Thank you very much for the response, now that you have mentioned it I think I would take the time to know and understand better what replay gain is and how to properly use it. I look up on the link you have given me and it seems to be a very interesting function for audio volume control. I will continue to look up into it and also try your suggested software. Thanks a bunch. That was very helpful.