Neutron MP vs Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP)

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Fahrenheit

Neutron MP vs Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP)

Post by Fahrenheit » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 am

Does anybody made a comparison between Neutron and UAPP?

I tried UAPP because of the claim it should better drive an external usb DAC (they developed an ad-hoc driver), and I found that it actually sound very well with my iBasso DZero mkii.

With my surprise, I found that it sound good even directly through android, too (without external DAC): it seems to me that its sound is more clear and well balanced that Neutron, the Lows are less booming, while the Mids (vocals) are really well defined. At least this is the impression I get with my Philips Fidelio M1 headphones ...

I wondering which one between Neutron and UAPP gives the more neutral response, does Neutron mess a little the sound (less clear Mids and a little too Lows) or is UAPP that enhances the Mids?

:?:

Fahrenheit

Re: Neutron MP vs Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP)

Post by Fahrenheit » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 am

none?

I'm a big fan of Neutron and wonder if it's just my setting (HTC One X+ , Philips Fidelio M1 mkii) that causes the sound of UAPP to be better than Neutron, or if there is room to improve Neutron output quality ... :shock:

TYA

Post by TYA » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi man

You are correct! You are not alone.
There's different in SQ of them.
1. UAPP is vol up compare to Neutron a bit. So at first you need vol it down before hearing as comparison.
2. To got close SQ to UAPP, in Neutron you need to set :
EQ off
Dither off
Phase invert off
64 bit off
Crossfeed off
Surr off
3. When playing dts, chanels off neutron still separately while in uapp it mixed, and, also it cut out LFE chanel. (No LFE sound). BUT uapp sound much better and easy to feel that. It has harder bass impact and clearity, native and well balance sound (so mostly its eq useless).

Edit : dts relate above is Neutron v.s VLC player. Uapp is not ability
4. In digital way (ext dac) neutron keep connection better than uapp event cable contacting matter (its can keep running while uapp will stop). But since neutron update with direct usb control, things may change (I didn't test).

For uapp I bought it just after 5 minute trial. It impressed me much.

Fahrenheit

Post by Fahrenheit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 am

TYA wrote:You are correct! You are not alone.
that's nice! :)
TYA wrote:There's different in SQ of them.
1. UAPP is vol up compare to Neutron a bit. So at first you need vol it down before hearing as comparison.
2. To got close SQ to UAPP, in Neutron you need to set :
EQ off
Dither off
Phase invert off
64 bit off
Crossfeed off
Surr off
of course, I did all my comparisons with everything off. With Neutron I often found my self to apply an EQ to reduce the lower end of the spectrum, while I don't need any EQ with UAPP. By listening several times the same part of a track (flac) with both players I realised that in UAPP the Lows are less boomy and more clearly separated than Neutron. While I found Neutron more pleasant to listen with in-ear headphones (Sennheiser MX985) since they lack a good bass response and some boost is welcome
TYA wrote:For uapp I bought it just after 5 minute trial. It impressed me much.
me too! ;)

I hope Dmitry will do a similar check, too, and find the right way to enhance the quality of the Neutron output!
The Neutron UI is really much better than the UAPP one, which is quite minimalistic

Stefano

TYA

Post by TYA » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:06 am

You might try VLC player to see its clean/clear/high dynamic range and well balanced sound freq. I like that app too.
It is the best SQ in free category and, may not that only.

But this is strange : both VLC and Uapp have those characteristics but I use neutron most. But if for speaker out VLC and Uapp is the choice

Fahrenheit

Post by Fahrenheit » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:34 am

yesterday I was back to Neutron after having listened through UAPP for a long while

It seems to me that the sound of Neutron is much better now(!)

just a my impression, or there was some changes in the app?

Ste

TYA

Post by TYA » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Fahrenheit wrote:yesterday I was back to Neutron after having listened through UAPP for a long while

It seems to me that the sound of Neutron is much better now(!)

just a my impression, or there was some changes in the app?

Ste
I always have neutronmp in my device, even at time I find new app. Uapp is not bad, first impression was not wrong. A better than Uapp in my point of view is HF Player , I deleted Uapp and use Hf player instead but neutron, never ever.
When keep neutron to reference a long time, then delete or stop, finally neutron is my most use app.

Fahrenheit

Post by Fahrenheit » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:06 pm

TYA wrote:A better than Uapp in my point of view is HF Player , I deleted Uapp and use Hf player instead but neutron, never ever.
When keep neutron to reference a long time, then delete or stop, finally neutron is my most use app.
I tried the Onkyo player but honestly I really don't like its UI ..

listening through UAPP I rarely fell the need to turn on the equalization, while it happens sometimes with Neutron:
on some albums low frequencies are a little boomy for my ears. But it seems to me less then before (that is, on
older Neutron versions).

Nevertheless, I definitely prefer the flexibility and customization of Neutron over all the other apps! ;)

Ste