User Guide?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
AADC

User Guide?

Post by AADC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Where can I find proper user instructions and information for Neutron? There seems to be a distinct lack. Even a user-edited wiki would be a help.

Things I am trying to find out about at the moment:
  • What filename extensions are recognised as playable files, and is there any way to add others;
  • I have seen references to Neutron being skinnable, but no information on how or whether the UI is user-customisable (Android).
There will be more - I have just started on using an Android KitKat tablet + Neutron + Nova Launcher to build a dedicated stand-alone DJ device.

Fahrenheit

Re: User Guide?

Post by Fahrenheit » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 am

Hi

there is a list of supported audio files in the "Technology" section:

General: MP1, MP2, MP3, OGG, FLAC (8,16,24,32-bit), WMA, AC3, AAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MP4, 3GP, 3G2, MOV, APE, ALAC, WV, MPC, WAV (pcm {8,16,24,32-bit LE}, ima4, ms-adpcm, u-law, a-law), AU (pcm {8,16,24,32,64-bit BE}, u-law, a-law), MPEG, AVI. Modular: MOD, IM, XM, S3M. Voice: SPEEX.

case12

Post by case12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:39 pm

I have to admit I am not an audiophile. But, I have managed to navigate around Neutron (which I love) with some of the definitions. I too would like a user manual, or what would be cool would be a "help wizard". Then I could learn as I go.

filbert

Post by filbert » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:13 pm

I have just installed Neutron on my Playbook as I needed to use it as a music player for FLAC files, but I find the interface baffling :(
I am no novice, I have been using computers for around 30 years and understand things like the technicalities of TCP/IP and the Unix command line, so why is this so hard???

I saw a post from 2011 asking for a user guide and it was suggested that the product was still very new and that one would be produced before too long.

regulus

Post by regulus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Yes! Neutron User Guide is actually a damn good idea!

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:57 pm

regulus wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Yes! Neutron User Guide is actually a damn good idea!
Indeed, it is.
Any volunteers ?

regulus

Post by regulus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 pm

I have no doubt that many Neutron users would be willing to help along those lines in one way or another, myself included - but prior to that I think the Neutron Player developers are supposed to produce at least something first, some sort of skeleton Neutron documentation, draft User Guide, FAQ, wiki or whatever. I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that for such complex commercial software product as Neutron Player, as of this moment, there is literally nothing - no documentation, no User Guide, no FAQ, no terminology - only a possibility to ask questions and get answers on the forum.
Last edited by regulus on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:53 pm

regulus wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 pm
prior to that I think the Neutron Player developers are supposed to produce at least something first, some sort of skeleton Neutron documentation, draft User Guide, FAQ, wiki or whatever
Not having a manual is a bit strange, indeed. But Neutron is not alone in that regard ...
Besides, whether we expect the developer/owner/admin to produce a manual or not, he didn't do this for the last eight years and probably won't do it just because he's supposed to.
But who knows, perhaps he'd help if he found someone who helped him.

regulus

Post by regulus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 am

...perhaps he'd help if he found someone who helped him
Again, Neutron is a damn good commercial software product, it sells well and generates a decent profit.

So, talks about "finding someone who'd helped him" aside — I think the Neutron developer/vendor is perfectly capable of just hiring that someone to do the job and produce the result which Neutron users have every right to expect (I myself not exactly a novice in IT, but still when using Neutron I frequently feel like a monkey behind controls of a spaceship).

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:04 am

regulus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:59 am
I think the Neutron developer/vendor is perfectly capable of just hiring that someone to do the job and produce the result which Neutron users have every right to expect
IMHO thats not wellfounded.
How do you know the profit that Neutron yields ?
And how do you justify the "right" ?