v1.48 NEON App Constantly Closes

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
krazman

v1.48 NEON App Constantly Closes

Post by krazman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I am having a terrible time setting up playlists. The Neutron UI required to do this is tedious in itself. Neutron is constantly closing in the middle of building the playlists. It doesn't show a FC window. It just abruptly shuts itself down and returns to my home screen. The device is not locked up or anything. I restart Neutron and in the middle of selecting songs it shuts down again! Each time it does this, it forgets the new names assigned to the already setup playlists. The playlists are intact but they have the queue..........m3u8 original name. So...

Two problems here: 1. Near constant shut downs. 2. Playlist names are not maintained.

As for the constant shutdowns, I have had a similar shutdown problem for the past 4-5 versions. Every time I start Neutron, it shuts down during the first song played. Once I start it up again there are no further shutdowns while in play mode.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: v1.48 NEON App Constantly Closes

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am

In 1.48 new audio driver was used - OpenSL ES which was advertised by Google as better API for native applications for audio output. As a result, some users started complaining on 1.48 and I already reverted it back to what was before always.
Neutron is constantly closing in the middle of building the playlists.
Does it sometimes succeed with scanning? Or may be crashes on some specific dir? I just fixed crash in ID3v2 related to tags when ID3v2 tag had some specific unexpected data.
I restart Neutron and in the middle of selecting songs it shuts down again!
Do you mean when you are scrolling Playlist sections?
I start Neutron, it shuts down during the first song played. Once I start it up again there are no further shutdowns while in play mode.
I propose to wait till next release (will be today) which reverts some things and also has updated Android SDK compilers which could probably cause some incompatibilities. Let's see how it goes after it.

krazman

Post by krazman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

@Dmitry

Answers to above questions:

Yes, sometimes it finishes with allowing me to scroll through the complete list to select songs.

Not when scrolling the playlist. When scrolling the songs list to select songs to enque for the playlist. Shuts down in different places in the songs list. Doesn't shut down at the same song each time.

I hope this helps with the new release. Thanks for taking the time to fix these problems and to respond to my posts!
kraz

Bjrmd

Post by Bjrmd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I have had very good stability with the new release (nexus S running ics 403). What helped me was making a tasker headset profile that shuts down all non essential apps running to keep free memory above 60 megs or so. I noticed frequent force closes and freezing before doing that(for the last several versions of neutron).
You may want to keep an eye on your free RAM to see if that could be an issue.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 am

Kraz
It looks like your APK cache has some, possibly, corruption. Android OS makes cache of each app and sometimes screws it up. For example scrolling songs and crashing is not possible as there are no crash bugs in that logics and on my 3 devices it never happened. Could you please try to uninstall Neutron and re-install 1.49 from web-site (I remember NEON works for you). Not to loose your current settings you could create /sdcard/NeutronMP and put there *.db and *xml files as described in http://neutronmp.com/faq. Would be great if you could comment on 1.49 stability on your device.
I have had very good stability with the new release (nexus S running ics 403)
I already have ICS 4.0.3 on my Galaxy S2 so also able to test its functionality. Surprisingly ICS on my S2 never had audio playback lags and worked as all OS versions before. I do not know why Nexus with ICS is so different. Anyway, it is great that you have good stability! I have suspicion that earlier problems with ICS could be caused by slightly incompatible bytecode caused by outdated Android OS Java compiler I used due to wrongly updated SDK. What if you go to Neutron UI -> Settings -> Audio Hardware -> and RESET audio latency to defaults, will Neutron sound ok then?

krazman

Post by krazman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 am

Dmitry

No crashes on 1.49 NEON so far. It did get off to a rough start though. First 3 songs that played in the playlist stopped after the end of each song. The status bar on my home screen still showed Neutron MP as active, but when I tapped on the notification with the song title etc., N MP shut down. I opened up the MODE screen and re-tapped the Loop (P) and have had no problem since. Loop (P) was lit but wasn't working correctly.

For me, this will all be moot tomorrow as my new Samsung Galaxy Note will arrive. I have sent you an email asking for instructions to migrate my N MP subscription to the new device. I paid for the Lifetime devices subscription, not the single device one.
kraz

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 am

Ok! Thank you for the details. Replied to you :)

Bjrmd

Post by Bjrmd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Latest neon still works great for me--thanks