[ISSUE/BUG ]Eq,Agc and Normalization Woes

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
intelliriffer

[ISSUE/BUG ]Eq,Agc and Normalization Woes

Post by intelliriffer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi, I had Emailed about this back in Dec, but i guess you might have missed that. anyways,

When Unbinding Eq:
if you are computing normalization gain with the eq engaged (like described on the website) then as soon as you unbind the eq from the folder. Things go wrong. The normalization levels are no longer valid because the current eq could be different.Using a normalization gain computed with a non existent eq with locked band and AGP can be damaging.

Its hard to describe in words,but i am putting a step test to see if you can recreate the issue.

1: Take any folder (say a folder with 4-5 songs)
2: Apply an eq to folder and select normalize and normalize few of the songs (but not all)
3: unbind the eq from folder.
4. load the folder and play songs and note the eq (some should be red)
5. change the eq faders on one of the songs that is not normalized.
6. change between songs and get to a normalized song and note the eq. if it's locked and has inherited preset value from previous eq then this behavior is not right. You have ended up on a state you should not be in. Neither you can edit the eq nor it sounds right for the normalization because it's gain state is not same due to eq impact (something it was locked in the first place to avoid). This behavior is not right intended or not.

the most critical thing with this is that it does not allow AGP to engage to bring pre amp down.

for example in above steps if you change all eq faders to +18 (just to illustrate the issue) on a non-normalized song, the AGP will decrease the preamp to bring the levels in check, however as soon as you switch to a song that is normalized, the eq faders(sliders) inherit +18 eq boost and are locked and the preamp is also locked to 0db. so you end up with an extremely loud distorted signal suddenly, causing all sorts of problems and ending up on cases which you are not even able to fix, because they are locked in place by design(but to wrong values).

this could perhaps be taken care of in many different ways.

like clearing normalization on unbind, or just ignore it if no bound eq,and force recompute when binding again.
or better. use a 2 pass method.
for example , calculate gain in 2 passes, one with bound eq and one flat eq , and if no eq bound on file container(album/folder..), flat normalization is taken into account, and AGP is overridden/reset to the flat normalized level and eq bands/preamp unlocked. similar to what you would do with a file with an embedded replay gain tag. That would allow AGP protection as well as some volume smoothing.

Problem With Bound Eq to a folder (when not all items normalized):

When you change the faders(sliders) for eq for a bound folder, they seem to be automatically saved with updated value
and the next song will use same updated value.
The problem happens when you have mixed set of songs in folder, like few are normalized and few are not.
as soon as you get to a normalized song, it also uses that updated eq(and not the actual eq level it was normalized with, not only are it's levels wrong, but it's faders are locked and so is the preamp/agc. leading so similar issues described above.

i also installed and tested NeutronMP on my other samsung galaxy player 5 (yp-g70, android 2.3.5) and had same eq issues on that device too.

sorry for being a PITA on this, I hope i am not using/understanding the feature the wrong way (however i believe it should not bring me to the case of locked items with wrong values).