The Case of the Disappearing Widget

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Scrypt

The Case of the Disappearing Widget

Post by Scrypt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 am

Every time I download a new version of Neutron, the widget works until about the second time I restart or turn off my phone. After that, the widget disappears until your next Neutron update here or in the market.

I'm using a Galaxy S1 phone — specifically, the Samsung Epic 4G, rooted and running Bonsai with Voodoo Control.

Every version of Neutron has behaved the same way, and the vanishing act isn't duplicated with any of my other widgets. Only Neutron's widget disappears.

What do you think is causing this?

I also need the display widget to activate the album art for new music. Unless I have the widget installed, I can't seem to get new album art to load.

(Excellent music player, BTW — one I'll continue to use whether this issue is resolved or not. That being said, I'd love it if we could get this sorted.)

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: The Case of the Disappearing Widget

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 am

> the widget works until about the second time I restart or turn off my phone

This is strange behavior. Neutron uses standard Android widget API and nothing really special is done which could lead to such problems. I can say that on my Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) and S (GT-I9000) I do not experience such problem. Do you have Neutron on internal SD Card or exported it to External SD? Android has bug with widgets disappearing if application is moved to External SD. I will anyway analyse widget code more thoroughly for potential bug...

> Unless I have the widget installed, I can't seem to get new album art to load

There is known bug in 1.35 that widget/album art screen won't display art of single album subsequently playing, e.g. 1-st song has album art shown and for next songs of same album won't be shown. It is already fixed for the next release. Most probably it has relation to what you noticed. Let's see how it works in new version then!

Scrypt

Post by Scrypt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:09 pm

dmitrykos wrote:Do you have Neutron on internal SD Card or exported it to External SD? Android has bug with widgets disappearing if application is moved to External SD. I will anyway analyse widget code more thoroughly for potential bug...
I did move Neutron to my SD despite concerns about issues of speed and timing. But I'm not certain this was before my initial sighting of the Disappearing Widget.
There is known bug in 1.35 that widget/album art screen won't display art of single album subsequently playing, e.g. 1-st song has album art shown and for next songs of same album won't be shown.

Thing is, no album art appeared at all until the moment I first loaded the Display Widget.
It is already fixed for the next release. Most probably it has relation to what you noticed. Let's see how it works in new version then!
Sounds good. I'll let you know whether the issue's resolved with your next revision.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 am

Regarding Widget and External SD Google says the following:
App Widgets
Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot).