[FIXED] Battery drain after blackberry z10 10.1 OS update

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Thinker

Re: Battery drain after blackberry z10 10.1 OS update

Post by Thinker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Unfortunately, 1.74.2 does not improve this battery drain issue on my Z10, which is running leaked OS 10.2.0.1047. The Neutron active pane may consume less CPU than before but the System is still going up by 40% and staying there until Neutron is closed. The Crackberry forums describe a lot of issues with battery drain. Sounds like Neutron may use a core service that drains the battery, through some OS bug.

warrenmr

Post by warrenmr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 am

Confirmed. High battery drain for me as well with the same OS and Neutron Version. System CPU usage is about 40% when Neutron is running and battery drain is significantly higher.

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Same problem at 10.2.0.1323.
App manager shows that all other apps go to "idle" state, except for System and Neutron. When I open Neutron and leave it in Active tile not playing anything, though it is in the player screen, I see Neutron using up to 8% of CPU for a while (I assume it is refreshing the database), then I see it drop below 1% CPU, but never to idle. System goes up to 55% while Neutron is refreshing, then to 43% or so, while Neutron is below 1%. If I terminate Neutron from the App manager, Neutron goes back up to 5-8% for a few seconds, then disappears from the App list. System then drops back to 2-3%. Seems pretty clear that Neutron is holding some service open. I have not found any Neutron setting I can disable that will change these numbers. :?:

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 am

> Thinker

When Neutron is staying in background for around 10 minutes when paused (no playback) how many % do you have shown for its process on your device?

> If I terminate Neutron from the App manager, Neutron goes back up to 5-8% for a few seconds

It is ok, because Neutron is releasing memory and it will take some CPU usage.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:04 pm

There is idea that may be OS since 10.1 is spamming with some events when Neutron is Idle. Such events spamming will cause sleep break and unwanted CPU consumption. Is it possible to have logs from Neutron on device which has CPU consumption problem? The steps to get logs are the following:

- exit from Neutron app by closing its process with X button on Neutron's active frame
- create folder NeutronMP in /misc, so it would look as: /misc/NeutronMP
- create folder logs inside /misc/NeutronMP, so it would look as: /misc/NeutronMP/logs
- start Neutron
- log files will be created in /misc/NeutronMP/logs
- start playback, pause playback and make Neutron minimized into an Active Frame
- after 5-10 minutes check if there are frequent messages coming in log

On dev. Z10 with 10.0.9 version of BB10 there is no problem with higher CPU usage and Neutron is behaving as intended but let's see if logs revel any troubles.

I would really appreciate to have example of log file!

warrenmr

Post by warrenmr » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 am

Hi Dmitry,

I have sent a log file separately by email per your instructions above.

I don't think the problem is related to only to Neutron in the idle state. The System CPU utilization is very high regardless of whether Neutron is playing or not.

I was using Neutron only in my car today over a 5 hour trip (with my Z10 in airplane mode and the display off), and the battery was at 10% at the end of the trip.

(PS - when trying to view the log files on the Z10 I received an "unable to open file" message. Neutron was closed (not minimized) when I tried this. When I tried to send the two log files via email, the Z10 crashed and rebooted. After reboot I was able to send the files, although I still could not open them.)

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Mark!

> I have sent a log file separately by email per your instructions above.

Thank you very much for your kind help, although this time they did not help much :) But after vacation with fresh head things got improved in 1.74.3 which is approved by BB World and is available as update today.

The reason of high CPU consumption in any playback state, as you correctly noticed, was LED event spamming in OS event loop. E.g. in 10.0 all was fine and LED events were coming as expected but since 10.1, including 10.2 LED events are coming constantly and very frequently as state updates. Neutron was sleeping while waiting for next event and such frequent events were cancelling any sleeping thus CPU was consumed as in dead loop (almost).

1.74.3 implements workaround for such behavior and hopefully situation with CPU consumption becomes normal. Tested on Q10 with 10.2.

It will be great to know if problem is really gone.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

warrenmr

Post by warrenmr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:57 am

dmitrykos wrote:Hi Mark!

> I have sent a log file separately by email per your instructions above.

The reason of high CPU consumption in any playback state, as you correctly noticed, was LED event spamming in OS event loop. E.g. in 10.0 all was fine and LED events were coming as expected but since 10.1, including 10.2 LED events are coming constantly and very frequently as state updates. Neutron was sleeping while waiting for next event and such frequent events were cancelling any sleeping thus CPU was consumed as in dead loop (almost).

1.74.3 implements workaround for such behavior and hopefully situation with CPU consumption becomes normal. Tested on Q10 with 10.2.

It will be great to know if problem is really gone.

Best regards,
Dmitry.
Your vacation must have been good because the problem is fixed for me! 10.2.0.1453 on Z10.

Thinker

Re: [FIXED] Battery drain after blackberry z10 10.1 OS updat

Post by Thinker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:44 am

1.74.3 is indeed much better with CPU usage. Once the database is refreshed, if nothing is playing, Neutron now drops into idle for a second or two, then pops back at 0.02% for 1-2 seconds and back to idle, in a continuous loop. System CPU now drops to 2-5% when Neutron is idle.
When playing, Neutron CPU is typically around 5-6% and System is 4%.

Well done,sir. I have really missed being able to use Neutron these past few weeks.o :D

ardan118

Re: [FIXED] Battery drain after blackberry z10 10.1 OS updat

Post by ardan118 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 pm

It seems that with the new update, the high usage is back, any one else see this?