mediaserver battery drain

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
kenship

mediaserver battery drain

Post by kenship » Wed May 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi, I just noticed from the battery statistics that the mediaserver process is using as much power as the neutron app itself, is this normal or there's some issues with my ROM?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: mediaserver battery drain

Post by dmitrykos » Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 am

Mediaserver is system Android process, so from Neutron side it is not possible to anything to improve situation.

kenship

Post by kenship » Thu May 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I understand media server is the android process. What I don't understand is: from time to time I played some music and I realize that neutron is not being on the list of battery usage, it showed media server instead.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Neutron is sending audio data to OS and then Mediaserver process is either sending it directly to OS driver of audio DAC (must be doing in most cases) or processing it with additional DSP like: resampling (unlikely), bits conversion (unlikely), applying some effects if you have some audio plugins. Additional processing will increase CPU consumption from the side of Mediaserver. Neutron is sending direct PCM audio data in HW format (mostly 16/44.1 but values are obtained by querying OS), so it is unlikely that any conversion from OS side is happening, unless you have some 3-rd party audio plugins.