Some bugs

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
vizZ

Some bugs

Post by vizZ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm

First of all thank you for bringing Neutron into the BB10 plateforme. It is the best music player available here.
However, I have noticed some little bugs I would like to share hoping you will manage to solve them in the upcoming updates:
- unfortunately it seems Neutron is not supporting studiomaster wma (24/96khz). Is it planned to add it as a supported format ?
- I have also noticed the app seems a little bit cpu consumption as for example when we get message or open apps the music freezes during less than 1 seconde. It is not a big problem but it's a little bit ennoying.
- I find also the scrolling not so responsive, if it could be improve, it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Liveinthemoment

Re: Some bugs

Post by Liveinthemoment » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:17 am

Hiya......I have files from HDTracks and downmixed 5.1 files (I did it myself) all at 24/96 and it plays them no problems at all - sounds lighter and more dynamic than their redbook counterparts (which to be honest were mastered horribly - tons of distortion) on my bluetooth Bose speaker.

I suggest you scan the files for errors - some audio files will work fine on a pc and some players but not all. I have found by copying back and forth and then using an MD5 check that files can even be changed in the copying process on USB (I have 500 CDs worth ripped to FLAC then converted to 320 ogg on a 128GB SD Card with a Sony S tablet). Hope that helps...

From memory these are further downconverted by Neutron as they are playing but its still worth doing for the extra dynamic range these files have:
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 pm

> studiomaster wma (24/96khz)

Unfortunately Microsoft does not disclose WMA format specification and thus 24-bit depth is not supported because it is not yet reverse engineered by the developers of decoder. If implementation is added for 24-bits Neutron will be updated accordingly. So far you could convert your WMAs to FLACs, it won't cause any quality degradation as FLACs are also lossless.

> when we get message or open apps the music freezes during less than 1 seconde

Yes, it is known bug but there is pending update in BB World with possible fix. On dev. Z10 I did not experience this bug anymore, so let's see how it will be once 1.71.1 update becomes available.

> scrolling not so responsive

There is setting (Neutron UI -> Settings -> User Interface -> LIST DAMPING) which allows to modify list moving speed but currently it will slow it down only, will modify it so that list movement speed could be increased too.

vizZ

Post by vizZ » Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Thank you for the update, it brings a lot of improvements !

A last very small bug I have noticed: when unlocking the phone with the gesture there is sometimes a sound pest. It only seems to happen with the unlocking gesture.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm

> there is sometimes a sound pest

Normally BB10 OS is minimizing CPU time which can be used by background process and thus if something CPU intensive is happening in Neutron when it is in background some audio interruptions may occur. There is possibility to eliminate this in situation you described: already in to-do.

vizZ

Post by vizZ » Sun May 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Thank you. I got another question: is it possible to do the database refresh only manually because if Neutro do it while my device is locked the sound scratch all the time during the analysis which is quite frustrating.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 am

Yes, of course. In Database screen -> Sources -> switch off radio button [Refresh] and Neutron will not do any scanning on next start. And to trigger it manually you would need to switch on Refresh button and when it completes switch off again.

vizZ

Post by vizZ » Wed May 29, 2013 8:54 pm

Thank you, perfect :) Hope to see some updates soon on BB10 :p

vizZ

Post by vizZ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Just an update. Since the BB10.1 update Neutron music player freezes seem to be back. When playing music and doing some tasks the sound freeze during less than 1 second. It is the same story when you lock or unlock the device. Is an update planned to solve this issue ?