Too slow with my SMB source

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
skinnyvoice

Too slow with my SMB source

Post by skinnyvoice » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 am

Hi,

I have a Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2, rooted, stock kernel) and I have successfully installed Neutron MP (1.69.2). My primary use for it is to play music from my collection on a Synology NAS share using SMB. I've successfully created a source for the files and populated it (took a long time) but NMP is now unusably slow. The collection is approx 400GiB of mixed FLAC & mp3. NMP lists 3617 albums, 46,133 songs. When I press on one of the icons for the music NMP always times out, never listing the next level (songs/albums/folders). It appears to be refreshing all the time too, with the red 'REFRESHING' flashing in the top right.

I cannot edit the source by a long press because it seems like NMP is choked doing something else (refreshiing?) and I never get to the edit dialog...

Are my expectations too high wanting to access a collection of this size over SMB on a phone? In the past I've been able to mount the share with CIFS and access the music via Poweramp, but that option is not available with Android 4.2.2 & stock kernel.

At the moment, NMP is not much use to me which is frustrating because from my trials with a smaller set of folders the sound is awesome

skinnyvoice

Re: Too slow with my SMB source

Post by skinnyvoice » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:15 pm

OK, as a follow up, I installed NMP onto my Nexus 7 tablet (rooted, stock) and used the same NAS SMB share as a source, only with a limited subset of folders (301 folders, 3707 songs). This works, although stoll a bit laggy. I'm guessing that 3617 folders is perhaps too many for NMP to be dealing with? The folders icon *does* open eventually on the N4, but only after about 10-15 minutes which is not acceptable. Is there any caching going on, or is the whole folder tree being re-read? I cannot edit the 'Source' to turn off 'refresh' because the whole player is locked up presumably scanning the share.

What makes this *so* galling is that NMP provides the best sound I have *ever* heard from these devices (through Grado SR325i headphones). Congratulations, but I want to weep because I can't get the best out of it :-( Both of the Nexus devices have no expansion (though I can use a hard drive with an OTG cable with the Nexus 7, that defeats the point for me, the music is shared everywhere else via the NAS).

I successfully stream music from this NAS SMB onto my phone via a Squeezebox (and Squeezeplayer/Squeezecomander) and via MPD (and MPDroid) so I know the network is OK

Hope that helps & best regards

PS, on the Nexus 4 NMP now starts with the splash screen but then goes to an empty black backlit screen and stays that way until I am asked to kill it. I've probably had to kill it too many times and something is borked

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:27 am

Since coming 1.70 update media database operations and connected UI part will take less time. 46k tracks is quite a lot, so handling them all including dependencies is not easy task. Would you please comment here regarding performance once updated to 1.70.

skinnyvoice

Post by skinnyvoice » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Dmitri, could you point me in the direction of the 1.70 download. Google Play & your download page still say 1.60.x. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 pm

1.70.0 has not yet been released for Android platform, it will be done on this week.

skinnyvoice

Post by skinnyvoice » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 am

OK, I downloaded 1.70. The indexing seems to choke at a certain directory - the 'Looking for music files...' dialog fills with hundreds of backspaces (ie \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\). This didn't happen with the previous version. NMP then just crashes out to the launcher with no error message. Frustrating. An example of the filename in that directory (which I just happened to see before it crashed) is '01 - Chit Kyoo Thwe Tog Nyin Hmar Lar (Will You Accept My Love Or - Dave Douglas With Mark Feldman, Erik Friedlander, Drew Gress.mp3'

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm

> 'Looking for music files...' dialog fills with hundreds of backspaces (ie \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\)

Hmm... have not received any complaint about SMB/CIFS crashing during scanning. May be Android installer damaged installation of your version? You could try to save Neutron's database files from /data/Android/com.neutroncode.mp, all containing files, then uninstall Neutron and install it again. If you make SMB scanning will it crash again? If not overwrite current files with old onces after you terminate Neutron process. Scanning my NAS drives happens without any error...