need info on functionning/issue with custom kernel

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
lightpsycho

need info on functionning/issue with custom kernel

Post by lightpsycho » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi there,

I had read somewhere on this forum that Neutron does not use the default "music api" like other players or something like that...is this true?

I'm having an issue since I installed a custom kernel on my Galaxy S3 (T999 north american)...random reboots once the phone goes into deep sleep while music is playing! This never happens while the phone is awake. I hear a "beeeeeeep" for a second and then it reboots...!!

What could be causing this? Are there any options I could disable to prevent this? I'm running NEON latest version and haven't tried standard version yet...

I would really like to diagnose this properly and do a proper report to the kernel's dev if needed...

Thanks!

Pascal

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: need info on functionning/issue with custom kernel

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Pascal,

> I had read somewhere on this forum that Neutron does not use the default "music api" like other players or something like that...is this true?

No. Neutron is using standard Android audio API for audio output. Custom output is not possible as for that android audioflinger core must be skipped and Android mediaserver must be shutdown to free the audio output stream on DAC.

As to your problem. I suspect crash is happening somewhere inside audio core of Android OS. If Neutron is working ok on stock firmware and not on some custom then custom firmware has bugs. It happens very often with custom ROMs...

Best regards,
Dmitry.

lightpsycho

Re: need info on functionning/issue with custom kernel

Post by lightpsycho » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks for your answer Dmitry,

I tried to get info from the dev but the only thing he would mention is that he is using Linaro as his compiler...even though I'm a power-user, I'm not a coder so that doesn't tell me much.

Strange thing here is that I never had any issues with the STOCK android music player...so I just wanted to try to understand how/if Neutron works differently than the stock player to try to pinpoint the issue.