Version 1.68 PlayBook UI bug

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
warrenmr

Re: Version 1.68 PlayBook UI bug

Post by warrenmr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 am

I now cannot see all of the files on my sdcard. They are a mix of ALAC and MP3 files. I had no trouble with another sdcard with only MP3 files. Not sure if this is the cause of the problem. I see that the same, or at least similar, problem is being discussed in another thread.

Frustrating!

DougL

Post by DougL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

My Playbook, Neutron Music Player, and a good set of headphones (like my Sony MDR-V6). That was all that was required in order for me to enjoy very high fidelity music. It was wonderful!!! Until the latest upgrade. Besides the small fonts and slider problems, the quality and ambiance of the sound has also changed, and when I turn up the volume, there seems to be some background distortion - wish I was more of an audiophile so I could describe it in better detail. Anyway, hope a fix of some sort comes soon. I really feel the Playbook is the ideal match with Neutron. Thanks for such a wonderful product.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 pm

> the quality and ambiance of the sound has also changed, and when I turn up the volume, there seems to be some background distortion

I doubt it could happen. Compiler is absolutely the same as always, none of changes were done to audio engine and decoders. UI bug does not affect audio because it is completely different part of code, moreover the bug is in interface of BB OS to Neutron player core (bug assumes that all devices, including PlayBook, report resolution of portrait mode, e.g. Width is smaller than Height value), so it is on very top of the structure.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm

> warrenmr
> had to go to the Database settings and turn on 'Use root folder as top-level path for directory selection''. You can then navigate to sdcard2 in the Sources settings

Because external SD path was not documented by BlackBerry and BB10 Dev Alpha A device did not have external SD slot it wasn't possible to test the support of external SD before actual Z10 release. Developer's Limited Edition Z10 device is still on its way...

Would you please mention what is the full path to external SD, isn't it: /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard ?

primusd

Post by primusd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 pm

dmitrykos wrote:> warrenmr
> had to go to the Database settings and turn on 'Use root folder as top-level path for directory selection''. You can then navigate to sdcard2 in the Sources settings

Because external SD path was not documented by BlackBerry and BB10 Dev Alpha A device did not have external SD slot it wasn't possible to test the support of external SD before actual Z10 release. Developer's Limited Edition Z10 device is still on its way...

Would you please mention what is the full path to external SD, isn't it: /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard ?
Yes, this seems to be the path. Through NMP navigation, it shows as sdcard2 (see above re: database issues)

DougL

Post by DougL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:16 pm

dmitrykos wrote:> the quality and ambiance of the sound has also changed, and when I turn up the volume, there seems to be some background distortion

I doubt it could happen..
Something sure is happening. I tested a few more songs. Initially, tbey begin at a very high volume and full of static. After a few seconds the volume cuts back to nominal but it still sounds terrible, Tried adjusting the equalizer but the sliders are limited in their range of motion. The sound is actually better with the equalizer disengaged - very sad.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:32 pm

> tbey begin at a very high volume and full of static

Ah I see. You ran into problem with AGP (Automatic Gain Protection) feature. There is setting for it which is resetting gain to some specific value on each new track. You can reset it to 0 dB and problem will go away:
Neutron UI -> Settings -> Automatic Gain Protection -> check if RESET GAIN has >0.0dB value, if it is move slider back and forth to reset to 0 and confirm dialog.

Also before doing above actions make sure Preamp gain is below middle position or in the middle (e.g. 0 dB).

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm

> Yes, this seems to be the path. Through NMP navigation, it shows as sdcard2 (see above re: database issues)

So, you see it like: /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard2 ? In 1.68.2 for Z10 path /accounts/1000/removable is registered in Neutron as one of the default paths and thus when you create new source manually you will notice /accounts/1000/removable as one of entries, thus ROOT PATH is not really needed to access external SD.

warrenmr

Post by warrenmr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

The path is actually /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard/, but that will of course be fine with your change to 1.68.2. (The path also appears as sdcard2 in the root).

primusd

Post by primusd » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

dmitrykos wrote:So, you see it like: /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard2 ? In 1.68.2 for Z10 path /accounts/1000/removable is registered in Neutron as one of the default paths and thus when you create new source manually you will notice /accounts/1000/removable as one of entries, thus ROOT PATH is not really needed to access external SD.
sorry, it was late and I not reading right...

there are two options to navigate it seems:

1) after you start into directory selection for manual, you can just choose sdcard2

or

2) you can navigate to accounts and then... /accounts/1000/removable/sdcard

Interestingly, going through #2 gets more of my music in the db, but only by a few files...

Hope that helps!