Shuffle in Android Auto

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
GoodMorning

Shuffle in Android Auto

Post by GoodMorning » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 am

As far as I'm aware there is no way to shuffle music when in Android Auto unless shuffle mode is turned on beforehand in the app, but that solution is not ideal because I do not want shuffle enabled in every scenario (i.e. I might want to shuffle a single artist but I wouldn't want to shuffle a single album). It would be nice if it worked like Poweramp where the top-most option of every menu is to shuffle the current selection.

blaubär

Re: Shuffle in Android Auto

Post by blaubär » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:30 am

GoodMorning wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 am
As far as I'm aware there is no way to shuffle music when in Android Auto unless shuffle mode is turned on beforehand in the app, but that solution is not ideal because I do not want shuffle enabled in every scenario (i.e. I might want to shuffle a single artist but I wouldn't want to shuffle a single album). It would be nice if it worked like Poweramp where the top-most option of every menu is to shuffle the current selection.
So there's no shuffle button in AA ? ( is there a button for the playback mode ? )

GoodMorning

Post by GoodMorning » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm

blaubär wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:30 am
GoodMorning wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 am
So there's no shuffle button in AA ? ( is there a button for the playback mode ? )
No, there's no button for shuffle or playback mode in Android Auto. How Poweramp handles it is they add a shuffle menu item to the top of whatever list you have open. I think this method works best because you can choose to either shuffle your selection or listen to it in the normal sequence. It would be nice if Neutron implemented the same thing.

Screenshot of Poweramp:

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 am

GoodMorning wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm
No, there's no button for shuffle or playback mode in Android Auto. How Poweramp handles it is they add a shuffle menu item to the top of whatever list you have open. I think this method works best because you can choose to either shuffle your selection or listen to it in the normal sequence. It would be nice if Neutron implemented the same thing.
I don't know how the track list in AA looks, but if it looks like the one in the app,
then there could perhaps be added another button alongside the play-this-list-button,
which would switch shuffle on (generally ? only for this list ?) and then do the same as the existing button.

tracklist.png
tracklist.png (24.57 KiB) Viewed 2864 times

GoodMorning

Post by GoodMorning » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 pm

I just discovered that there actually is a way to enable shuffle in AA. You have to start playing a song first, and then in the overflow menu of the player there is a shuffle button you can toggle on or off.

I still think it would be nice to have a shuffle button in the menu like in Poweramp so you don't have to select a song first (because the same songs are always at the top), but at least there already exists a method of enabling it.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm

GoodMorning wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 pm
I still think it would be nice to have a shuffle button in the menu like in Poweramp so you don't have to select a song first (because the same songs are always at the top), but at least there already exists a method of enabling it.
This would apply not only to Android Auto, but also to the app : you'd like to have a shuffle button in the track list. That would be especially useful for users who don't want to use the main playing screen at all.

main.png
main.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 2851 times

GoodMorning

Post by GoodMorning » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes. I don't think such a feature would be too difficult to implement, and it would make shuffling a lot easier to start.