Auto Bass

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
SystemII

Auto Bass

Post by SystemII » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:23 am

Is there a possibility to setup "auto bass". Now is the situation that one song has a beautiful bass en another nearly nothing. I should like this option very well.

It's a beautiful app and I use it every day.

blaubär

Re: Auto Bass

Post by blaubär » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:39 pm

SystemII wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:23 am
Is there a possibility to setup "auto bass". Now is the situation that one song has a beautiful bass en another nearly nothing. I should like this option very well.
Currently you can change the amplification depending on the frequency in the equalizer. But this only depends on the frequency, not the relative distribution of the signal strength across frequencies.
You seem to want the eq curve not as a description for alterations to the signal but as a target distribution.
Or perhaps you want a frequency dependent compressor. Which also doesn't exit.
Won't the binding of the eq to the genre or the individual track do the trick for you ? Does anybody know whether this is possible?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Try the normalization, there you can bind an album or a folder to an eq and optimize the volume

822019144742.jpg
822019144742.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
822019144733.jpg
822019144733.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

Rod2

Post by Rod2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Normalization isnt going to help bass levels when you are listening to various tracks from various albums etc. Bass levels are commonly all over the place in different songs - some have none, others too much. This is a common issue. Normalization primarily effects overall volume issues, and often with undesired results. Not recommended for batch rendering a huge load of files. One at a time, and check each one, maybe.

There are so far only four real ways of dealing with this, that I have found.

1. Do the EQ binding thing, however, with hundreds or even thousands of songs, thats not very realistic and would take an extremely long time to set up. You;d have to have many different EQ settings and bindings and at that point, you are practically trying to re-master your entire music collection - more on that later

2. Output your music to any kind of device that has a BASS knob that you can manually turn up and down for each song.

3. Re-master your songs individually, in various ways. Audacity for example at the easy and free side of things - for better results, a big pro DAW like Pro Tools. With Audacity you can set up various EQ treatments, save them as "chains" and then batch run various songs. You have to experiment.

What I really would like, would be a VST plugin where the user could set up a minimum and maximum threshold for Compress and Limit, to a specific set of frequencies. You could then set a frequency range for bass to your liking, such as 32hz to maybe 125 or 250hz, and then the plug in would either raise the level of only those frequencies if they were too low in the original, by compression, or limit them if they were too hot in the original.

Even that has its perils and batch running could have unintended results - such as an overpowering kick drum etc

4. The easiest and best solution - find a song that has a LOT of deep bass that sounds "Good" to you and use that as a reference. Set your EQ up to make that song sound good, without so much bass that its overpowering and then thats it. Learn to live with it. Some songs simply will not have enough bass but at least nothing will crush your skull and kill your ears with low frequencies.

Sorry for the rambling but I've been looking for a solution to this issue for YEARS and there really isnt an easy one.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Rod2 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm
There are so far only four real ways of dealing with this, that I have found.
[...]
I've been looking for a solution to this issue for YEARS and there really isnt an easy one.
Indeed, no easy solution.
If I might add my personal solution : I learned to live with less bass by using a suitable combination of headphones and equalizer settings to give a relatively flat frequency response curve and then listening to the music as it is ( within the limits of my equipment ). Took some time but worked well.