Can Neutron cast to more than 1 networked audio receiving device?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
currter

Can Neutron cast to more than 1 networked audio receiving device?

Post by currter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:28 pm

I was wondering if like AirFoil (that runs on MacOS and Windows along with its Satellite software),
can Neutron cast to more than one receiving music device like ChromeCast Audio & Linksys RE6500,
& Yamaha R-N803 Musicast , etc.? So far I can only output to only one device. I wanted to experiment
sending audio beamed from a FIIO device or other android device running Neutron to both the Yamaha
stereo system on big speakers and to an outside speaker connected within same network from
the Linksys Range Extender with an audio port. So whatever I am listening to on the premium
stereo system can be shared to the outside speaker.

I have other ways to do this using Airfoil and real computers but wanted to using something small-scaled
and portable to do the same thing.
Another way I can do it is to use Neutron to beam music to a server computer and that computer
--Windws-based-- use Airfoil and Windows Media Player to beam the audio to the various networked speaker
devices.

Well let me know.

Thank you.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Can Neutron cast to more than 1 networked audio receiving device?

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Currently not possible but in general can be possible, just need to implement multi-destination support. Such task is in to-do for the future development.

currter

Re: Can Neutron cast to more than 1 networked audio receiving device?

Post by currter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Okay, wonderful. I cannot wait for it because...
my current solution to using & integrating Airfoil, WMP (with Neutron) to cast to multiple devices
sounds terrible on the Yamaha stereo system ( I do not care about the external audio to
the outside speaker connected to the aux port on the Linksys RE6500).
The signal is being split or perhaps the bit rate is being reduced to perhaps MP3 levels
when I am casting either uncompressed and/or lossless audio from the device/source.
(I am not sure what Windows Media Player is doing with the lossless audio from FIIO/android device
running Neutron beamed to it
before it is handed off and split/ distributed through Airfoil. I do not know if Windows Media Player
is reducing the bit rate or Airfoil -- though MAC sounds better using Airfoil).
(FLAC Level 5 or 8, .WAV, FLAC uncompressed namely are audio sources used and cast to a professional
stereo system receiver like Yamaha R-N803 -- also wanted to share the audio to cast to an
outside speaker connected to a Linksys RE6500 Range Extender with audio port, and other
computers/Macs/Widows on the network that can also receive audio like via Airfoil or iTunes...
I am making things complicated...

All that said, I know I would trust Neutron more so to handle distributing the lossless audio to
various receiving audio devices (casting issues) than using middle-men softwares
(WMP, Airfoil) than I am doing now. And I believe or hope that Neutron can do so without
degradation of the lossless audio.

Maybe once this multi-destination support is implemented, I may eventually purchase
Neutron for Windows-based computers with more processor cores (i5, i7)
to cast to multiple audio receiving devices and speakers
via wi-fi and sending lossless audio. A real computer could be better , less stressed handling
the streaming to multiple devices than just an android device like FIIO I would think.
Fiio slightly struggles with its basic purpose and barely gets by streaming to bluetooth head phones.
I am not sure about smartphones or android phones how they would perform beaming
audio to multiple devices via wi-fi.

Casting from Mac computers, where Neutron is not available, using Airfoil does sound
better however. I hope one day Neutron could be available on Mac just as VLC is.
VLC, your competitor, is available on more platforms than yours but does not easily
cast to audio-only devices as it does cast to video devices. I have sent VLC email
about their deficiency in this department.
Neutron at least casts to all audio and video devices ...

May the better audio streaming application win... me over.

:)