Player takes over Android Auto

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
matkinson

Player takes over Android Auto

Post by matkinson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Many thanks for integrating NMP into Android Auto. I now have several apps integrated into AA. Having completed a journey playing from one of these, say Spotify or Podcast Addict, then, when restarting my car, after 1-2 seconds NMP will take over the currently playing app in AA. I would expect that instead the previously playing app would continue to play. If I want NMP I will select that! As mentioned, the previously playing app does seem to start for a second or two, then NMP "steals" the connection. I have to manually select the app I want from the AA controls - annoying as by this time I've often set off down the road.
I have checked and all the "play if o/p attached" options are deselected. Also note this is AA on my mounted phone - my car doesn't have integrated AA - with playback over BlueTooth. Indeed I think I've been through all the settings at least twice!
Any ideas what is causing this? I've searched this forum without finding anyone else reporting this bug. I want to keep Neutron on my phone as the sound and functionality are beyond equal but this behaviour is very annoying and I've been asked to remove the app and rely on downloaded Spotify albums :shock: . Please help me!

blaubär

Re: Player takes over Android Auto

Post by blaubär » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm

You surely have checked that, just to make sure : you haven't selected NMP as your smartphone's default music player ?

matkinson

Post by matkinson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks! I confess I hadn't checked as I'd not used that setting to my knowledge... but have now and can confirm that I have "no default music player" selected. Should I have one? I need to look into this a little more to understand - should this information be available - what impact this has on Android Auto. Should not the default music player setting _only_ be used when selecting either a music file or a link to that file?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm

That was just a wild guess - I thought something like " if it is the default player and then android thinks auto wants music then perhaps it starts it's default player" ... Sorry, but I neither own an automobile nor android auto so can't try this out

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:23 am

matkinson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm
I have checked and all the "play if o/p attached" options are deselected. Also note this is AA on my mounted phone - my car doesn't have integrated AA - with playback over BlueTooth.
So you've got two smartphones.
On the first and only there you've got neutron, and it's no default app there.
On both devices you've got AA.
The AA of the second device then works as head unit for the neutron mp on the first device.
In neither Phone's AA config you have any special options activated for neutron.
Correct ?

matkinson

Post by matkinson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am

No, sorry. I have one device only. This connects to my car's audio over BlueTooth at which point Android Auto starts automatically (there's an option in AA to start upon BT connection becoming connected). A I have my phone mounted on my dashboard this allows interaction with my phone through the AA interface, which is designed to be safer when driving (big buttons, etc). My car does not have AA - in the way I'm using it it's essentially a BT speaker only.
I have no default music player on my phone.
When AA starts it by default start playing the previously active music app (in my case either NMP, Spotify or Podcast Addict). But if this player isn't NMP then NMP takes over and AA switches - without user interaction - to playing NMP.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Ok, so you use AA as a skin for Neutron ( and other apps ), and the car as a BT speaker.
Weel, you could completely uninstall Neutron and AA, reinstall AA, make sure that no such effect shows with other apps, then install Neutron and see what happens.
Sorry, I won't install AA myself to check this out.

matkinson

Post by matkinson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks, yes, that's an apt description. Will do this next I think. It might be some time before I'm back but am listening for responses on this thread. Best regards!