What is the best way to reduce volume shift between tracks?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
lendall

What is the best way to reduce volume shift between tracks?

Post by lendall » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 am

I have a large music library compiled from a variety of sources. My library is not organized by Albums, since most of the tracks in my library are not from albums. There is a great range of levels among the tracks in my library, with some tracks much louder than others. All tracks were uploaded onto my phone from my computer using the JRiver Media Center Sync Handheld function, but not using any of JRiver's DSP options. However all tracks on my phone have been "analyzed" by the JRiver software according to the R128 standard which they use.

My question is: How do I adjust Neutron on my phone so as to reduce radical level shifts between tracks? Is this a matter of adjusting the Replay Gain function, the Automatic Gain Protection function, or both? If so please suggest settings which will achieve my purpose of reducing radical level shifts between tracks. I do not understand what the settings in the Automatic Gain Protection function are supposed to do. What does "Sensitivity" mean in this context? Or "Reset Level, db"? Or should I be adjusting some other controls?

I am now also using the Compression function (which seems to be new), but this Compression function appears only to compress volume within tracks, not between tracks. I am not using the Normalize function because I like to listen to music from my library randomly, which makes choosing groups of tracks to normalize impractical.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.