Why use an external DAC?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
xzqcpf

Why use an external DAC?

Post by xzqcpf » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Loaded v1,90 a few weeks ago and have been reading the Forum for advice....... and there are some great tips for this incredible App.

First time post... and an important question related to need for an external DAC.

Neutron seems to handle 64 bit-rates at 320kbs. Chord Mojo ($600) also does this but why should I bother?

If Neutron is bypassing the Android OS to process at 64-bit (versus 16-bit)...... isn't that what a DAC does?

Neutron operates as an absolutely wonderful 'passive' pre-amp. I've used passive preamps before with amazing results in SQ. Just make sure the passive pre-amp is run into high-quality amplification at proper voltage (gain) levels. Stick to the oldd adage that 'less' is better in the reproduction of music quality.

Headphone DAC/Amps can handle frequencies above 44.1Khz, The range of human hearing is 20Hz-20kHz. In digital recording, the Nyquist theory states that a recording rate should be double the highest frequency recorded. Therefore, 44.1kHz should be perfect for the human hearing range. So, what’s the point in higher rates? Sounds that only bats can hear?

Headphone DAC/Amps may have the advantage of increasing the source output voltage (my Note 3 standard output is ~ .5V). Passive pre-amps put all the line-driving responsibilities squarely on the shoulders of the line-stage voltage of your source device. but I haven't seemed to need this increased voltage. With the Note 3 plugged into the AUX of my truck, Neutron has woken up the stock stereo system to point that I might not spend $2K on new system.

Samsung Note 3 Android 5.0
My Samsung Note 3 uses the DAC within the Snapdragon 800 chipset (wish Samsung would have kept the Wolfson DAC)

Fahrenheit

Re: Why use an external DAC?

Post by Fahrenheit » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm

xzqcpf wrote: If Neutron is bypassing the Android OS to process at 64-bit (versus 16-bit)...... isn't that what a DAC does?
an external DAC bypasses the built-in one of your device, being a dedicated electronics it's expected to give better performances in terms of signal to noise ratio, channel separation, etc ..
while the software part of the signal treatment (for example, equalization) is done by Neutron up to 64-bit processing

xzqcpf

Re: Why use an external DAC?

Post by xzqcpf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:43 am

Fahrenheit - Thanks so much for the reply....... Have you any suggestions on DAC's?