Does the volume control work in steps of 1%?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
1200mu

Does the volume control work in steps of 1%?

Post by 1200mu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 pm

When adjusting the volume using the slider, the volume actually increases in coarse steps, not the fine ones indicated on the volume slider.

E.g. Using the device (Galaxy Tab S) physical button to adjust the volume makes the Neutron volume increase from 53 to 60 in one step. It is possible to adjust the slider to, say, 56, but this does not actually change the volume and the slider will jump to either 53 or 60 the next time the GUI is updated.
Is this a limit imposed by Android or is there some way to make the Neutron volume control work in the 1% increments it displays?
My main problem is that for some music 53 is too quiet and 60 is too loud so it would be nice to be able to select a level between the two.

Fahrenheit

Re: Does the volume control work in steps of 1%?

Post by Fahrenheit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:52 am

it's an Android setting, there are several app that allow to change the default value, see for example "VolumeSteps+"

1200mu

Post by 1200mu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Excellent response Fahrenheit, many thanks! :D
Using VolumeSteps+ I was able to change the number of steps from the default of 15 to 50.
This helps a lot.

This involved :
1) A (at least temporarily) rooted device.
2) Download and installation of Xposed Framework (outside of Google Play).
3) Download and installation of VolumeSteps+ module.

I'm not sure if the behaviour described above is a Neutron bug, any comment from the developer?

The volume slider in Neutron seems to work fine.
I tried it again and the volume does not jump as I originally thought.
The 'bug' appers as follows.
Exit Neutron (press standby button), return to Neutron (press standby button again) and at this point the volume slider jumps, both visually and audibly to one of the predefined levels defined by the system (i.e. One of the 15 default levels).

Fahrenheit

Post by Fahrenheit » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm

hi, I'm glad you find my suggestion useful ;)

but I don't understand if you notice the "bug" also with VolumeSteps+ installed:
I'm using that Xposed module with 50 steps (for the same your reason) with no problems,
with Neutron and any other music player.

However, to check the problem, keep in mind that even if you stop Neutron it remains in the background
for few minutes, so you have to wait for about 5 min, or - to be sure - kill it from the app manager.

1200mu

Post by 1200mu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Yes, the bug, or maybe I should say 'behaviour' is still there even with VolumeSteps+ installed.

If I select an odd numbered volume in Neutron and exit and re-enter Neutron (as described above) it will jump to the nearest even number.

E.g. '57' will jump to '58'.

I should add that there is no stopping of Neutron, it remains active and playing music when going in and out of standby.

Fahrenheit

Post by Fahrenheit » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 am

1200mu wrote:Yes, the bug, or maybe I should say 'behaviour' is still there even with VolumeSteps+ installed.
If I select an odd numbered volume in Neutron and exit and re-enter Neutron (as described above) it will jump to the nearest even number.
E.g. '57' will jump to '58'.
ah! OK, sorry I didn't understand the problem

it's normal, android sets the volume in fixed steps, so you can't force a value "in between",
by setting 50 steps with VolumeSteps+ you get the volume changing two by two: 0, 2, 4 ...
so odd values are not allowed

Ste